Author Topic: Nursing  (Read 3051 times)

Offline jaamac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nursing
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 August 15 19:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for your help. I have had some success in persevering with the Cumbria Archive, and have found out that my Gt Aunt retired on 28/3/38 due to ill health, which fits in well with other information I have. They have listed the types of information available in the Archive relating to her service but I must apply to the NHS Foundation Trust to release these particular records, at cost. It seems there isn't much in there that would be of interest anyway, and I would not be able to trawl through to get a sense of what was going on, what it was like to serve there at that time. Bureaucracy, eh?
Anyway, I appreciate all your helpful comments, and good luck, Gilly, with your writing.
J

Offline Scarletwoman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 10:18 BST (UK) »
I'm glad you managed to sort out her dates and at least know now where she was nursing during those years.  I found this reference in the British Journal of Nursing, dated November 1936, and it mentions briefly that the hospital had been removed from the list of approved training schools for mental nurses.  That must have been a massive blow for staffing and recruitment, particularly for the Matron, and does suggest some serious problems with the training of their probationers at the time.  So if you do ever decide to check any other records, the chain of events that led to that might be an interesting period to investigate. 

<< On the recommendation of the Mental Nursing Committee
it was agreed that the name of the Cumberland and Westmorland
Mental Hospital, Carlisle, be removed from the
list of approved training Schools for Mental Nurses ; and
the name of the Royal Earlswood Institution for Mental
Defectives, Redhill, be removed from the list of approved
training schools for nurses for Mental Defectives, upon the
application of the respective Medical Superintendents.>>

Sue

Scarletfinders - Researching British Military Nurses from 1880, mainly Great War period

Offline jaamac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Sue, yes, I had clocked that. it was about the only piece of information I found in my trawl through the Journal.
your help is much appreciated, thank you.
John