Author Topic: Alex Martin, 1/4 Kings Own Scottish Borderers, Killed Accidentally on 21.11.15  (Read 2332 times)

Offline IAFC55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

I have been doing a small bit of research on this chap, he was born in Dublin, but lived in and joined up in Duns (Dunse). His Medal Index Card indicates that he was killed accidentally on 21.11.15 while in Gallipoli, but I cannot find anything online to substantiate this, if anyone has access to the local papers of the time would you please look for a report of his death?

Regards
Ian Chambers
Dublin Western Front Ass.

Offline jora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
I have looked in the Berwickshire News for 1915. There is a report about a Private Alex. Martin of the 2/4th KOSB, wounded on 12th July at the Dardanelles and now in hospital at Alexandria, Egypt. He is not reported in the list of KOSB Dardanelles deaths issued in June 1916, neither can I find any report in the family notices or Rolls of Honour for his death.

According to the report Alex. is the son of John Martin, and grandson of Mr. Archibald Martin of Duns, and was born in Scotland. There is reference in the newspaper to another Alex. Martin, also of the KOSBs who was also born in Scotland.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline jora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Berwickshire News, 23 November 1923
Dublin City Hospital, suddenly 3rd November, John Martin, 2nd son of the late Archibald Martin , Swallowdean, Duns.

In the 1901 census John Martin is listed as a station master at Dunsyre, Lanarkshire, and his son Alexander aged 10 born at Kirknewton, Midlothian.

Offline IAFC55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Alex Martin, 1/4 Kings Own Scottish Borderers, Killed Accidentally on 21.11.15
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 17:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the help.

Regards

IanC