Author Topic: SOUTHERN RHODESIA/ZIMBABWE:- TRACING NELLIE LOUISA DONAHUE nee BRENKLEY  (Read 2839 times)

Offline DJS1991

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nellie's timeline:

1. Nellie was born 8th December 1921 in Oswestry, Shropshire, England. Daughter of Henry BRENKLEY and Elsie May BRENKLEY nee BURGESS. Nellie was the eldest daughter of their parents Marriage. She was one of three, later came Ada May BRENKLEY born 1924 and Lilian Elsie BRENKLEY born 1927.

2. Nellie gave birth to her first son Ian Arthur BRENKLEY in 1939, more commonly known as Arthur Ian BRENKLEY, Nellie gave him away to be fostered at 6 weeks old. Arthur passed away in 2014.

3. Nellie gave birth to her second son Terence BRENKLEY in 1941, Terence was adopted 3 months later he was born. He died in c2008.

4. Nellie Married an American Soldier called Charles Donahue on the 4th December 1942 in Repton, Derbyshire, Charles Donahue's service number is 36345827 and he was posted in the UK in the May of that year.

5. Nellie lived in Chelmsford Essex from 1947 to 1950. In 1949 she sailed back from DURBAN to Southampton and stayed in 8/9 Park Road.

6. In 1950, Nellie sailed with a William Henry HEARN from Southampton to Cape Town with the future permenant residence as SOUTH RHODESIA. Her sister Lilian, now Lilian Elsie PAUL lived in Bulawayo in 9 Yeatman Road for a period of 20 years before they moved to South Africa after the country changed to ZIMBABWE. After 1950 the trace goes cold......

7. A letter dated 21 November 1968 from Lilian Paul to her sister Ada, now Ada HOLLINGS says that Lily believed Nellie went back to the UK 18 months ago (May 1967) but she wasn't sure as she hasn't seen or heard from her within that time.

If anyone can find any information at all that would be a great help, there was a rumor that Nellie got re-married with the guys surname JACKSON but that can't be proven for sure as there is no evidence for it

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: SOUTHERN RHODESIA/ZIMBABWE:- TRACING NELLIE LOUISA DONAHUE nee BRENKLEY
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Have you tried Family Search, they have quite a lot of records from that area.

Good luck
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline DJS1991

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Have you tried Family Search, they have quite a lot of records from that area.

Good luck

Hi I've already tried family search and found nothing. Thanks I've been searching for 2 years now and Nellie's son Arthur searched all his life with no luck.

Thanks

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

Unfortunately a lot of records in that country have been lost or destroyed. Good luck with your searching
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline DJS1991

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi would anyone be able to do a refresh on Nellie's search? I mean have a look again from the beginning for any records in South Africa or Rodeshia(Zimbabwe), I'm still not giving up hope, an answer might be in the identity.org website where I found her sisters death notice.

If she did die in south africa, her date of birth on the website would be 19211208

Thanks

DJS

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 16:39 BST (UK) »

Was Nellie her name or was it short for something else?

What were the details of her sisters death notice it may help to find her.....

Offline DJS1991

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 16:44 BST (UK) »

Was Nellie her name or was it short for something else?

What were the details of her sisters death notice it may help to find her.....

Nellie was her name, she didn't go under anything else.
Her sister Lillian died in 1990 in Pretoria of coronary thrombosis. It lists her identity number, husbands name, date married etc.

It's just Nellie who's the mystery.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 16:59 BST (UK) »

It is also possible that those records are not yet online if she died in the last 20 years or so.....

I have checked all the data bases that I have access to and no results, even using combinations of her names....

The Zimbabwe Deaths only go up to 1977, there are un-indexed ones that you can look through

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1837900

Click on the "Browse through images"  they are listed alphabetically, you may have some luck, but not if she died after 1977.

Offline DJS1991

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 17:18 BST (UK) »

It is also possible that those records are not yet online if she died in the last 20 years or so.....

I have checked all the data bases that I have access to and no results, even using combinations of her names....

The Zimbabwe Deaths only go up to 1977, there are un-indexed ones that you can look through

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1837900

Click on the "Browse through images"  they are listed alphabetically, you may have some luck, but not if she died after 1977.

Hi yes I've looked through the Zimbabwe records but I couldn't find anything with her surnames she had at that time. It could be there but it would be time consuming going through every page, if they transcribed them onto the website then I might get something