Author Topic: Army in Monaghan in 1825?  (Read 2168 times)

Offline rossendalerose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Army in Monaghan in 1825?
« on: Monday 27 July 15 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hello - I am doing a friends family tree and her ancestor is CHARLES WHYTE (1795 born Clova, Angus). He was an Army Surgeon and travelled around with his family - children born:1827 Devon; 1830 Ireland; 1832 Devon; 1836 and 1838 West Indies. By 1841 his wife, Jane is dead and the family are back in England

I can't find his wife's maiden name - all records just show JANE. Having difficulty finding the children's birth records as well (just baptism of ADELE J WHYTE on 31 Oct 1827 in Islington - mother Jane). However i have found a marriage in 1824 of a CHARLES WHYTE to JANE GLASS in Clones, Monaghan. Child Isaac born 1825 in Clones. (NB no Isaac with family in 1841)

I've read that there was an uprising in the early 1800's -
-did it require an Army presence into the 1820's?
-Would my Army surgeon, Charles be billeted there?

His father was ALEXANDER WHYTE - would the Irish marriage record show parentage?
thanks
Rose H

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Army in Monaghan in 1825?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 July 15 10:48 BST (UK) »
MARRIAGES

At West Alvington, Devonshire, Surgeon Charles Whyte, of the 25th Regiment, to Jane, daughter of John Luscombe Esq, of Coombe Royal, near Kingsbridge

(Dublin Morning Register 10 November 1826. Also in various Devon, Dorset and Somerset papers which record Jane's father as John Luscombe Luscombe, and the marriage date as 24 October)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 July 15 10:54 BST (UK) »
There are lots of online sources for this death notice in 1840 ( just google "surgeon charles whyte" luscombe )

Jan. 3 at Clifton, Jane, wife of Charles Whyte, esq. Surgeon to the Forces, and third dau. of the late John Luscombe Luscombe, esq. of Combe Royal, Devon

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 July 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
The West Alvington marriage is in the Devon Marriages database on FindMyPast

Offline rossendalerose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 July 15 13:52 BST (UK) »
thanks for this -  my local family history centre is being renovated so haven't been able to access FindmyPast on their computers. Your answers solve the query of the Luscombe surname, which the family started using as a double barreled name in the early 1900's but had lost sight of where it had come from.

Query now happily closed - thanks. Rose H

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 July 15 14:15 BST (UK) »
There were Army barracks all over the UK. There was no reason for Monaghan to be an exception so the presence of a barracks is not necessarily an indivation of anything out of the ordinary.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)