Author Topic: Invergordon link - James 'Jim' WATKINS  (Read 4600 times)

Offline spichael1964

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Invergordon link - James 'Jim' WATKINS
« on: Monday 27 July 15 11:42 BST (UK) »
My grandfather James 'Jim' Watkins was born in 1902 in Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales. We know there is a Scottish link within the family - probably on his mother's side - and possibly the surname Morgan.

Attached is a photograph of my grandfather. On the back is simply the inscription 'Invergordon'.

Any leads or help of any kind would be much appreciated.

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Invergordon link
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 July 15 12:37 BST (UK) »
What were the names of his parents as that would be a help to finding the link. Thank you.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hello again. There are quite a few James Watkins in the area. Were his parents Oliver and Priscilla by any chance. If so I still haven't found a Scottish connection but I may well be looking at the wrong family.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire

Offline spichael1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 15:15 BST (UK) »
I've traced James Watkins' paternal side back to Cwmgarvan in Monmouthshire in 1699.  I know very little of his maternal side, other than his mother was a Morgan.  All I have is a few photographs and the memory of my father always saying that he was linked to Rose Campbell and there was a link to Invergordon. It's not much, but any help will do. I have no idea what the tartan is. My father mentioned it once, but he's been dead for 12 years.

Possible surname links could be Cottrell, Rowe, Gibbons, Vickery.

Offline spichael1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 15:20 BST (UK) »
Forgot to add the names. Ann Morgan b 1970 Bedwelly, Monmouthshire was James mother and his father Frederick Watkins b 1869 Llansoy, Monmouthshire.  Ann Morgan's father was William Morgan b 1831 Bedwellty and HIS father was David Morgan (married to Jane Aston) - No details are available for the last two.

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Invergordon link - James 'Jim' WATKINS
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 July 15 10:19 BST (UK) »
This is a very difficult one and I'm getting nowhere fast!
I see there was a William Jones, stepson to Frederick Watkins in 1901 and 1911. I presume this was Ann's son by another marriage. Do you know anything about that?
Perhaps this William Jones married after 1911 and you'd be able to get his details from that.
Will keep looking when I have time.

Offline spichael1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 July 15 21:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, he was William 'Jibo' Jones. He lost a leg in the war and never married. Once again nothing is known.  I know I'm clutching at straws - just hoping that someone somewhere will recognise a link. I have extensive knowledge of all my family apart from this area.

The full details of what I know can be found here on the Family Search website https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:374T-LS2

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 July 15 21:41 BST (UK) »
All I have is a few photographs and the memory of my father always saying that he was linked to Rose Campbell and there was a link to Invergordon.

Possible surname links could be Cottrell, Rowe, Gibbons, Vickery.

Campbell is a very Scottish name. Do you have any idea of who Rose was in terms of relationship. Was Campbell her maiden or married name  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline spichael1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 July 15 22:26 BST (UK) »
I've researched this for years. Been on all the family tree sites and have downloaded as many census records as possible. Cannot find a definite link to the family, although my father always boasted about being a Campbell. He kept very quiet about his family. From his limited notes, he seemed to think that his grandmother was originally Ann Campbell, not Morgan as I discovered. On the marriage certificate to Frederick Watkins her father is marked as William Morgan, and it ties up with the census records from 1871 and 1881.

I do however live in hope, as on the other side of my family an unknown line suddenly unfolded due to a reply from New Zealand where they had newspaper obituaries sent over to my great great grandfather's brother who had emigrated  in the late 19th century.