Author Topic: Invergordon link - James 'Jim' WATKINS  (Read 4575 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Invergordon link - James 'Jim' WATKINS
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 July 15 22:51 BST (UK) »
I've researched this for years. Been on all the family tree sites and have downloaded as many census records as possible. Cannot find a definite link to the family, although my father always boasted about being a Campbell. He kept very quiet about his family. From his limited notes, he seemed to think that his grandmother was originally Ann Campbell, not Morgan.

Do you mean her birth name was Campbell or from another marriage  ???

I would think tracing the name Campbell in Wales would be a good place to start.
You haven't said who Rose was ???
What do you know about her..........did she live nearby & died there as her death cert. may reveal something, was she married as that could have some info.  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline spichael1964

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 July 15 22:59 BST (UK) »
I have no idea I'm afraid. Hopefully someone may have an inkling, spot this post and fill in the gaps.  :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 July 15 23:11 BST (UK) »
Where in Wales was your dad living as Rose may have died there  ???

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 July 15 23:19 BST (UK) »
Maybe look for Ann Campbell b c 1870 Wales & Campbells on census  ::)

Hard finding anything without circa dates/ages etc. as it would be a "needle in a haystack"

Annie

Offline spichael1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 31 July 15 00:22 BST (UK) »
I've tried everything. No legitimate links. My mother is 89 and knows nothing about my father's side. She does remember attending a family wedding where people wore kilts - that's about it. Everyone who would remember is now dead :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 31 July 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
Can you ask your mother if she can give an approx yr of this wedding & if she recalls anything at all of Rose, was she at the wedding & where it took place.
No-one, no matter who will be able to find the connection, if there is one without dates & names  ???

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 31 July 15 16:13 BST (UK) »
Just to save "double trouble" (going over what's already been said)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=699231.msg5424104#msg5424104

Ann Morgan b 1970 Bedwelly, Monmouthshire Ann Morgan's father was William Morgan b 1831 Bedwellty and HIS father was David Morgan (married to Jane Aston) - No details are available for the last two.

To save confusion, typo born 1870

I think you need to start with Ann Morgan/Campbell's birth cert. as the link could be her mother. You know when & where she was born, you have her "Male" ancestry but no mother  ??? ???

Can you recall how old you were roughly when Rose Campbell became known to you as it would seem from the way she was referred to that she was still alive & known as there is nothing else mentioned or did he ever mention she'd died  ???
All I have is a few photographs and the memory of my father always saying that he was linked to Rose Campbell and there was a link to Invergordon.

Can you tell us the area your father lived when Rose was mentioned AS a death search for her name in that area would be a good place to start. Can you recall when your father stopped mentioning the "link" to Rose & has your mother ever heard of her  ???

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 31 July 15 17:05 BST (UK) »
I had a similar scenario. My aunt told me her father (my g father) had always said they were connected to a certain family (McFarlane & Lang Biscuits)........over the years "connected" became "related" as she couldn't remember from her childhood the exact term used when she was a child (lost both parents when she was 13/14).

However, my g father was a widower (with a Son) when he married my g mother.
Later in my research I decided to look for my g father's 1st marriage as her name was not mentioned on his marriage to my g mother nor his death cert.................
It turned out his 1st wife was a McFarland (a variant of MacFarlane) so no direct connection to my family & still to this day it may have been made up as their lorry used to pass my mother & aunt's house although my mother had never mentioned it as she was only 6/7 when both parents died & wouldn't have remembered anyway.

Annie

Offline spichael1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 31 August 15 10:48 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your efforts. It is very frustrating as I'm only working with hearsay and theories. My mother is nearing 90 and cannot remember much about what my father told her. All that she knows is that he used to mention being related to Rose Campbell and that he thought his grandmother (Annie Watkins, who had previously married Robert Jones in 1890 in Pontypool, Monmouthshire, had a son William Jibo Jones (b.1890) and later married my g-grandfather Frederick Watkins ) had the maiden name of Campbell. From my research, no Anne/Ann/Annie Campbell was born around 1870 in the area. Her father is listed as William Morgan on the marriage certificate with Frederick and this ties up with an Ann Morgan who lives in the area of Bedwellty at the time. Frederick Watkins and Annie lived in Pontypool in 1901 and then Newport, Monmounthshire in 1911. They later moved to Risca, Mon.

So where on earth does the Campbell link come from? Invergordon is written on the back of the photo of my grandfather I posted - and that is all I know. I live in hope that somebody will recognise a link somewhere. :)