Author Topic: Stephens of Springburn  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Nell1707

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stephens of Springburn
« on: Monday 27 July 15 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I'd like to find out more about one of my great uncles: Thomas Stephen, born 70 Cowlairs Road on 30th July 1898. The family were in 6 Hillside Place in 1911 and then of course it all stops.

I believe Thomas trained as a draughtsman or architect or something. Family legend has it that he either left the course or after finishing it went on to 'do art'. I'm not sure whether this was in a training capacity or as a career move. I know he moved to New York and the earliest passenger list I can find him on is 1930 and his occupation is listed as 'artist' then.

What I'd like to know, but I don't know how to go about finding it (or even if it can be found) is where he trained, when he qualified and what he qualified as.

I had some of his paintings re-framed a number of years ago and I'm sure I was told then that he'd  had at least one picture exhibited at the Royal Scottish Academy.  I have e-mailed the RSA but haven't heard anything back yet.

Where do I go now??

Thanks.
MARIE Gonfreville (France) and Jersey
NAVARRE Gonfreville
KENNEDY Inverness, Scotland
STEWART Moray, Scotland
STEPHEN Springburn, Glasgow
WATSON Dalry, Ayrshire, Scotland
DUNN Ireland and Springburn

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stephens of Springburn
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 July 15 17:01 BST (UK) »
According to my copy of the Dictionary of British Artists 1880 - 1940, he exhibited between 1920 - 22, address at that time was 6 Hillside Place, Springburn. He exhibited 4 works at the Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts and 1 piece at the Royal Scottish Academy.
This "one line entry" in the book makes his work worth very little to Antiques dealers etc.

Lodger
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Nell1707

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 July 15 23:12 BST (UK) »
Oh, thanks Lodger - that's exciting news! His niece (related to me by marriage only) is coming over from the States is few months.She doesn't know any more about his artistic career than I do and I thought it would be nice to have some more info to give her when she comes.

Is there any way I can find out about the paintings exhibited?

Thanks
NAVARRE Gonfreville
STEWART Moray, Scotland

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 00:17 BST (UK) »
The GI and the RSA may have pictures of them in a catalogue perhaps but you'd have to contact them and ask.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Nell1707

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 09:36 BST (UK) »
I'll do that.
Thank you  :)
NAVARRE Gonfreville
STEWART Moray, Scotland

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi there  :)

In case you don't have this, I think this is the 1940 US census entry for Thomas in New York:

Thomas Stephen 41, Draughtsman (in the combustion/engineering industry), single, b. Scotland

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PeterBLloyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 November 22 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I think this might be the same Thomas Stephen? Yesterday I visited the Library of Congress and found this very innovative version of the New York City subway map (see attachment). It seems to be a black-and-white photocopy of a color-coded map, designed by "T. Stephen, 1938". I found the copyright notice for a map  by "Thomas Stephen" on August 3rd, 1938.

Luckily, "Thomas Stephen" was an unusual name in New York City, so I think this is the guy:
- Passenger records:
-- arrived on the American Trader on 20 Apr 1930; born Glasgow, mother Margaret, stateside friend James Logie
-- April 9th, 1933 signed up as a seaman in NYC, then proceeded to England on the SS Caledonia.
-- left NYC on the Cameronia, arrived in Glasgow on 24th Jul 1933; profession "artist", address 120 Blairbeth Road, Burnside, Glasgow.
-- left Glasgow on the Caledonia, 19th August 1933, to NYC; profession "artist", address 511 Springburn Road, Glasgow
-- left Southampton on the Caledonia, 16th September 1933, bound for NYC, profession "artist".
-- left NYC on the Queen Mary, arriving in Southampton on 10th June 1936.
-- left Southampton, arrived NYC on 27 Jul 1936; born Glasgow "about 1899".

- 1940 Census: aged 41, born in Scotland, living in 256, W 55th Street, New York City, working as "draughtsman" in "combustion engineering";
- 1950 Census: living in 44, 80th Street, married to Edna Stephen, working as "civil engineer" in "makers for boilers for public institution".

It seems the mapmaking was a private project, not his day-job.

Peter

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 November 22 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PeterBLloyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 November 22 18:04 GMT (UK) »
I attached a copy of Thomas Stephen's subway map in my previous post, but an administrator has removed it. I wasn't able to reply to the admin as the RootsChat system does not let me send personal messages. IMHO it would count as 'fair use' to post a low-resolution black-and-white photostat of an original, unpublished eight-colour map.

As the 1940 Census has only one Thomas Stephen living in New York, and he was a draughtsman, I am confident that he was the same person as Nell1707's Thomas Stephen, who emigrated to NYC, and I would be keen to find out more about this man.

His profession was variously described as artist, draughtsman, or engineer. I would assume he earned a living as an engineering draughtsman, and made artworks in his free time.