Author Topic: Noah Palmer and Brittainia Cooper  (Read 5128 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Noah Palmer and Brittainia Cooper
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 July 15 17:38 BST (UK) »
unfortunately i have this info but thanks for working on it.

Hi cathayb

Sorry to have duplicated information you already have but I posted the 1861 information just to clarify your original post for anyone trying to help.  Your post did not tell us that they had already been to America by 1861 and had children there or give us any clue as to the year or place of birth of the eldest child that could help in locating the marriage.  ;)

Where were Brittania's parents between 1851 & 1861.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 July 15 17:40 BST (UK) »
According the the New York Herald (April 25, 1890), Noah had a brother in London, England who ran a sales stable there.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 July 15 18:15 BST (UK) »
Another interesting page from the Gypsy Genealogy website http://www.gypsygenealogy.co.uk/showarticle.php?article_id=136

From the 1880 US census in Colusa Township, Colusa, California:

Noah Parmer 67 Stock trader
Boulena Parmer   50
Nathaniel Parmer 29
Nellie Parmer 21
Charles Parmer 18
Sebina Parmer 16
Sarah Parmer 13
Cassia Parmer 7
Sampson Parmer 5

All born England except Sampson, who was born in Ireland.

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 July 15 18:51 BST (UK) »
apart from brittainias baptism in putney surrey i can find no trace of her or noah until 1861>
it seem to be a hopeless case as many very good researchers have got no further then me,we have trolled the netherstowey records and can find no trace of him and as we live nearby its not been difficult to do.yes he had a pub in bridgwater(which is near nether stowey) and nether stowey is absolutely full of palmers back then and they are known as the quantock broomsquires or quantock Gypsies.but we cant find anywhere that he might be related to them though we think he must be or why come to these parts of england.he was also a horse trader.
one theory is that sophia chilcott of carhampton married elijah smith.now he was born 1780 and she 1797,elijah was transported in 1820 and noah as far as we know was not born till 1826.folk think that sophia might then have had a laison with a mr.palmer and from there come noah.but it has not been proved at all
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 July 15 20:10 BST (UK) »
Anne-Marie Ford's page on Noah mentions the baptism of a probable daughter Siberia in Manchester in 1866, where the mother's name is recorded as Venus, formerly Smith.

That register page also records that the parents' marriage took place in "Jersey" in 1857.

http://www.gypsygenealogy.com/showarticle.php?article_id=138

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 10:12 BST (UK) »
ah i had missed that when i read it before!!had a look now and she definately looks like Noahs daughter,however i can find no marriage in jersey.this family are incredibly hard to find ore 1861 if noit impossible???i wonder just what names they were using?thanks for all your input.if anyone can find anything else pre 1861 i would be very grateful.i have been trying to trace his brother charles.i can find him but again not pre 1861.i think noah may have had another brother hameline.henry but again no proof.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 10:45 BST (UK) »
Records from Jersey are not available on any of the usual sites (Ancestry, FindMyPast, etc).

Jerripedia  (http://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Family_research) only contains pre-1842 records.

So you will need someone to do a search in Jersey! ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 11:32 BST (UK) »
oh dear.i did try family search free the mormon site.i dont know any one in jersey but will look for a jersey board on here and see if i get any joy.thanks.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 11:46 BST (UK) »
Try the Alderney, Guernsey, Jersey and Sark boards - there are some helpful people there.

Or you could ask the Channel Islands Family History Society; although you would be expected to pay for research. http://www.jerseyfamilyhistory.org/

Remember that Jersey is NOT a part of the United Kingdom, and therefore has it's own archives!

Jersey Heritage is the other place to go. http://www.jerseyheritage.org/knowledge
But there is very little available online.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)