Author Topic: james conroy  (Read 2366 times)

Offline graham saunders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
james conroy
« on: Monday 27 July 15 15:45 BST (UK) »
in 1878 james conroy married mary eliza mcaleenan our information is sketchy they married in the long church derry  his father was described as a hotel keeptr but where is not shown However we also have a record that at the time ok his marriage he was widower   can anyone suggest a route by which we might find details of marriage no 1     thanks graham

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: james conroy
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 July 15 17:45 BST (UK) »
we also have a record that at the time ok his marriage he was widower
The marriage certificate should list his status at the time of the 1878 marriage- single/bachelor, widower, divorced.
Does he appear in any census records?
Did he leave a Will? children from a previous marriage might be mentioned.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Little more information (without fully answering your question) I see a transcribed marriage record for James Conroy where it states he was a Solicitor, I think this is incorrect and should read Surveyor

Looks like him in 1901 census Derry City:
 http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Waterside/Clooney_Terrace/1539813/

Born Queens county, Ireland (now county Laois) Maybe you should look there for former marriage

Son born 1878 Edmund Hugh Conroy, father, James Conroy Surveyor, Clooney tce.

2 older children born in Kent, England
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 19:13 BST (UK) »
Possibly James and family 1871 Census England:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFXF-4JN
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 22:29 BST (UK) »
I did a little more research on James Conroy, it looks like he was trained as a Surveyor by the Royal Engineers, searching on google  John Conroy+ Royal Engineers brings up some fascinating results!

This seems to be the same man, same birth county and fits with his future career as surveyor and i would be fairly confident they are one and the same the link below to a book which has a map of New Westminster BC drawn by Sapper James Conroy in 1864

http://tinyurl.com/od3frvg

James Conroy was born 1834, Parish of Reary (Laois) service number 1163, Royal Engineers (full record available at findmypast.co.uk)

Regards

Offline graham saunders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 11:46 BST (UK) »
thankyou for your replies and research  however it is his life prior to 1878 that we seek he stretcher the truth a little he was in fact a solr.lerk. his second wife mary liza was a milliner

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 12:12 BST (UK) »
Ok, sorry, see my mistake, coincidence, different James Conroy, just happened to have a son baptised in Derry in 1878.

A little more info in original post may have helped for instance the fact that James and Mary had a daughter baptised in County Tipperary in 1880

Regards