Author Topic: St Peter and Paul in Shepton Mallet - HURLE  (Read 2161 times)

Offline AHurle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Peter and Paul in Shepton Mallet - HURLE
« on: Monday 27 July 15 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hello I am trying to find where three of my relatives are buried. I believe it is St Peter and St Paul in Shepton. I have contacted them and they told me that they do not have any records and they now belong to the archives. I have tried to search on-line on the archive website but without any luck.
I have been on Free Reg and found between 1900-1909 there were 79 burials for this church. But other than that I cannot view the information from that period to find out if it is indeed my relatives. My family the Hurle's came from West Cranmore and it is only three of my direct line where their death is registered as Shepton Mallet instead.

If anyone knows anywhere else I could find this information I would be extremely grateful.
Or if anyone could help me the people I am looking for is;

Albert Edward P Hurle 1885 - 1911
Daisy May Hurle 1892 - 1904
Rosa or Rosena Hurle 1860 - 1908

Many thanks.
Hurle
Parker
Clarke
Vranch

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Peter and Paul in Shepton Mallet - HURLE
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 July 15 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi and a warm welcome to Rootschat!

Sorry if this seems an obviois answer, butsurely if the records are at the Archives, then surely the way to go is to either visit the Local Archives if you are able, or if not, to phone or email them to see if they will do a search for you.

Or you may be lucky and find a fellow rootschatter is making a visit and can look for you

Or have I missed something!!!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AHurle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 July 15 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hello, and thank you! I have just discovered Roots Chat so been browsing through the Somerset bit  :)

I have emailed the archive center but still waiting for a reply. I thought I saw somewhere on the website that they charge you when they carry out research on your behalf? Is this not the case?
Hurle
Parker
Clarke
Vranch

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 July 15 19:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I dont know - I expect it says on their website.

But , if that is where the info that you want is, and if you cant get there yourself (your profile doesnt indicate where you are, oreven if you are UK or not, so I cant tell if that is out of the question or not) or if a Rootschatter cant get there either, then you may have to fork out to get access to it.
No one ever said Family History was a "free" hobby!  It is great when things are freely available on the internet, but that really is a bonus rather than to be expected.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 July 15 20:47 BST (UK) »

I have been on Free Reg and found between 1900-1909 there were 79 burials for this church. But other than that I cannot view the information from that period to find out if it is indeed my relatives. My family the Hurle's came from West Cranmore and it is only three of my direct line where their death is registered as Shepton Mallet instead.

You can see if there are any Hurles in the FreeREG database by searching for that name.

If you narrow the search to Shepton Mallet 1900-1912 none turn up. If you widen it to all Somerset there are a few but none matching the ones you want.

However, if you look more closely at the FreeREG coverage details you will see that they have no records for SS Peter & Paul after 1901. (Those 79 burials must be all from 1900 or 1901.) The later burials are not shown as "in progress" so they are unlikely to appear on FreeREG in the near future.

If you cannot get to Taunton yourself and don't want to commission a researcher there are sometimes other options. You can usually hire a microfilm of a register through your nearest Family History Centre, but in this case they also only have coverage up to 1901. You can buy microfiche copies of many registers from the Somerset Heritage Centre.  They appear to have the one including burials 1899-1952:

http://www1.somerset.gov.uk/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqCmd=show.tcl&dsqSearch=%28RefNo==%27D\P\she%2F2%2F1%2F27%27%29

Buying a single register can be fairly expensive because  the handling charge is the same however many you want. An alternative has been to buy it through FreeREG who can spread that charge over a large batch, as long as you'll lend the fiches to them for transcribing. Unfortunately the co-ordintation of the Somerset section is in transition at the moment and it may be a few months before the next fiche order is placed.

You say the deaths were registered at Shepton Mallet. Have you seen the certificates or just the registration details on FreeBMD or similar?  The latter only quote the registration district, which covers 20 or more parishes around Shepton, including East Cranmore. There's a list here  http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/shepton%20mallet.html .

Even if you have the death certificates they only give the place of death, which can be very different. Your relatives could have died in Shepton but been buried in a family grave at East Cranmore. (FreeREG doesn't have East Cranmore burials after 1901 either.)

David

Offline AHurle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 August 15 12:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information David,

I didn't think about the whole district and maybe you are right they might have just died in Shepton but buried elsewhere. I have another relative that died in Wells but is no where to be found.

Hopefully I'll be able to visit the centre soon to have a look  :)

Thanks again.
Hurle
Parker
Clarke
Vranch