Author Topic: James Davis (1871-1954)  (Read 2911 times)

Offline mapollard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Davis (1871-1954)
« on: Monday 27 July 15 21:50 BST (UK) »
My grandfather, James Davis, died in Hereford on Feb. 6, 1954.  I am trying to find out where he was buried or cremated.  I was christened at St. Martin's in Hereford in 1940 and I think that was the church the Davis family generally attended.  My parents emigrated to the United States in 1946. I have contacted St. Martin's and there is no record of his burial or funeral there.  I would like to know what happened to him after his death. He was somewhat estranged from my father and my Uncle James Walter Davis of Eardisley.  His will was probated in 1954 and he left his estate to Herbert Ernest Pyle.  I do not know who this person was. I remember visiting my grandfather when I was a small child when he was married to his second wife.  His first wife, my biological grandmother Alice Mary McCarthy Davis died in about 1919 so I never knew her.  We lived just down the street from him at 15 Hunderton Road.  He lived at Longdon Villa. Any information about these relatives would be most appreciated.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: James Davis (1871-1954)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 July 15 22:12 BST (UK) »
His will was probated in 1954 and he left his estate to Herbert Ernest Pyle.

Have you actually seen his will? Herbert Ernest Pile, retired school master, was granted probate - that doesn't necessarily mean he inherited the money. It means that he was the executor of the will and may or may not have been left anything.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 July 15 22:15 BST (UK) »
He may well have been cremated. As you know his date of death it might be worth contacting Herford bereavement services and asking if they have any records.

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/environmental-protection/funerals-and-cremations/contact-bereavement-services/

Offline mapollard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 July 15 23:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much for the suggestions.  I have not seen the will only the register of the will. I am not interested in any estate-just thought if Mr, Pyle was the beneficiary and could be contacted, he might know what happened in terms of a burial or cremation. I will contact the bereavement source you identified.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 July 15 23:32 BST (UK) »
If Herbert Pyle was a retired school master in 1954, then if he retired at 65 he would have been born before 1890, so not contactable now.
As that death was 60 years ago, regardless of information about his retirement, Herbert would be extremely elderly now to have been entrusted with probate then..

Added:
His surname is Pile on that probate notice, this birth?
Births December quarter  1877  Herbert Ernest Pile   Carmarthen    11a   847

and death
Herbert E Pile  death registered  March quarter 1967  Age  89
Hereford  Herefordshire

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 July 15 23:58 BST (UK) »
In 1901 Herbert was a 23 year old schoolmaster at Standon Boys' Home, a Certified Industrial School in Standon, Eccleshall, Staffordshire. What was your grandfather's occupation?

Offline mapollard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was a postman in Hereford prior to his retirement. Prior to that time he was in the 14th Hussars and served in the Boer Wars and even earlier had been stationed in Dublin in about 1897.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 06:03 BST (UK) »
Have you used free bmd to find the 2 marriages of your grandfather, and the births of his 2 wives, if you are looking for information about them?

Do you know if his first wife was from Ireland, and that he could have married her there?

Also, did his first wife die in Herefordshire?

Thank-you

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 06:06 BST (UK) »
James Davis is in a tree on ancestry, with photo, and marriage in Dublin - is this your tree?

Added:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=726912.0

So death about 1914 not 1919:

Deaths March quarter 1914     Alice M Davis   age 37          Hereford    6a   700