Author Topic: My great-grandparents - James Robb & Mary Ann(e) Taylor - Cumber, Fintona, Omagh  (Read 6190 times)

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
This is only my second request for information but I had such a wonderful response to my first query posted only yesterday that I have been encouraged to post another already.

My maternal grandfather - Arthur Herbert Robb was born on 19 September 1887 at 39 Cumber, Fintona, Omagh, Co. Tyrone and died in The Wirral, Cheshire in 1965.

The 1901 Census revealed that his father James must have already died and that they were living in Cumber, Fintona in the parish of Donacavey and the Barony was Clogher.

His mother was head of the household aged 45 - she was formerly Taylor - but unfortunately I cannot confirm whether her second name was Ann or Anne - the references I have found for her to date show both at different times.  She was born in about 1856 and died on 16 November 1931 according to her obituary in a local newspaper and buried in Fintona Presbyterian Church on 18 November.  Her parents were (I believe) William and Margaret Taylor.

Her brother William Charles Taylor who was born in 1859 became the founder of the English Leather Co. in Liverpool which became a limited company in 1923.  He had 4 children - 2 boys and 2 girls with his wife Elizabeth.

Her other siblings were - Neville (1848-?), Sarah (1850?) and Elizabeth (1861-?).  I am not sure if John, Joseph, Margaret and Robert were also her siblings.

The census also showed that my grandfather had 5 siblings - namely -
Sarah Amelia - 16 - aka Amy and living in Portballintrae, Co. Antrim in 1965 having married Robert King
William John Taylor - 14 - still in Cumber and alive in 1965 - marrying Nan and father of 4 children - all girls
Maggie Evelyn - 11 - aka Eva - still alive in the 1960s and widow of W Robert Duncan and mother of 4 children - 3 boys and 1 girl
Mary - 8 - aka May - still alive in 1965 and living in Portballintrae, Co. Antrim
Kathleen - 4 - still alive in 1968 and married to JD Gardner, living in Ballyclare, Co. Antrim and mother of 1 daughter (who my mother was still in contact with until the 1990s and was also my godmother)

My grandfather was known as Herbert in the family rather than Arthur Herbert and in WW1 he was a 2nd Lieutenant in the Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians).

The above are all the details about my irish family that I can supply at present due to the lack of records in Northern Ireland - but would be delighted and extremely grateful if any information about my maternal great grandparents or their descendents could be traced. 

Thanks to everyone who reads this very long request and especially to those who will try to help me find out more about my irish ancestry.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
For parents William Taylor and Margaret McFarland, a Nevil Taylor, Mary Anne Taylor and Sarah Taylor were baptised in 1848, 1850, and 1855 respectively, Fintona parish, their address was the townland of Legatiggle.

Parents William Taylor and Margaret McFarland married in Fintona Presbyterian Church on 24 January 1837, his parents were John Taylor and Catherine Hall, hers were Nevil McFarland and Margaret Guy.

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Wow - what a fantastic quick and illuminating reply - thanks so much - I am very grateful for any news about the Robbs and or Taylors

Of course, I am still wanting to find out more about James Robb still as well

Really appreciate Rootschat as I have posted 2 queries so far - 1 yesterday and 1 today - and had interesting and useful information supplied on both already - amazing - so woohoo!

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
If you search on the civil records section of www.irishgenealogy.ie  for the death of James Robb between 1886 and 1901, you get 30 possibilities.  That site shows you the area in which each death was registered.  One of these is in Omagh which shows the death in 1898 of James Robb aged 50.

If you then cross-check that on www.geni.nidirect.co.uk you find that this James died on 4 January 1898.  You need to register and buy some credits to see the full record which will cost £2.  No guarantee that this is the correct one but it would seem a fair bet.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

For parents William Taylor and Margaret McFarland, a Nevil Taylor, Mary Anne Taylor and Sarah Taylor were baptised in 1848, 1850, and 1855 respectively

Also baptisms for John 1839, Joseph 1842, Catherine 1844, Robert 1846, Eliza 1853, and William 1858.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Neville Taylor (baptised 1848) in 1901, together with his wife and daughter, sister Elizabeth and mother Margaret (McFarland) Taylor:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Fintona/Legatiggle/1743349/

And Neville in 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Fintona/Dromore_Road/872164/

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
thank you glensman and gaffy for your help - much appreciated

I have had so much response to my 2 queries since posting them yesterday and today - I think Rootschat is a wonderful site and so pleased that the leader of our Family History group of my local U3A recommended it at our meeting yesterday - I have already let her know the amount of help I have received already in such a short time in order that we may encourage more of our members to join this site

So thanks again to all who read all posts and contribute to requested research when they can - and I hope I can be of help to others who need it sometime in the future

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My great-grandparents - James Robb & Mary Ann(e) Taylor - Cumber, Fintona, Omagh
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 05:53 BST (UK) »

... Of course, I am still wanting to find out more about James Robb still as well ...

James Robb marrried Mary Anne Taylor on 8 October 1878 in Omagh Second Presbyterian Church, his father was Arthur Robb.  GRONI online has the civil marriage record, choosing the "Full" option for 5 credits (currently £2) provides a digitised image:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

I'm afraid the Robbs are plentiful in County Tyrone, they include a large cluster to the west of the County in Lislaird, where in the 1800s lived an Arthur Robb (see Griffiths Valuation and PRONI wills for example), but that isn't necessarily James' father, so just a heads-up that it might be complex.

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: My great-grandparents - James Robb & Mary Ann(e) Taylor - Cumber, Fintona, Omagh
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi gaffy -

Well you have achieved more in just 2 days than I have managed in over 18 months - even meeting people from geni.nidirect at the WDYTYA show in April didn't manage to help as much as you have - so once again many thanks