Author Topic: Louttit Family  (Read 1655 times)

Offline MARNCO

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Louttit Family
« on: Tuesday 28 July 15 18:42 BST (UK) »
I will be traveling to the Orkney Islands in September. My Great- Great Grandfather, John Louttit was born Jan 20,1825 in Stenness, Orkney Islands and immigrated to Canada. My records show  his father was Thomas Louttit born in 1786 and dying in 1841. His mother was Christine Leask born in 1788 and dying in 1867. I am interested in knowing if there is a graveyard or church that I could visit where they would be buried 
Arnie 

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Louttit Family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Arnie,

Welcome to RootsChat.

There are a few sources which you could try one being www.orkneycommunities.co.uk/ORPHIRANDSTENNESS/guestbook.asp - looks a promising site.
Also Orkney Libraries in Junction Road Kirkwall have many records and are very helpful.

Is this your first visit to Orkney? It is a very beautiful place and I have visited twice (only from Edinburgh) and would love to return someday. My grandmother, her parents and siblings were stationed there during WW1.
Now for the touristy bit St. Magnus Cathedral Kirkwall is very beautiful, Italian Chapel South Ronaldsay too, the tomb of the eagles is also worth a visit. There are so many places to visit and that's before you go to any of the other islands. People are very helpful and the tourist information can give you lots of help.

I hope you have a very enjoyable visit and find what you are looking for.

Kind regards,

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 21:13 BST (UK) »

Offline Louttit of Canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 March 18 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Born in Islands, Orkney, Scotland on 1825 to Thomas Louttit and Christine Leask. John Louttit married Sarah Smeltzer and had 3 children. He passed away on 1899 in West Garafaxa, Wellington,town of Fergus, Ontario, Canada.