Author Topic: REID's in Cumber Lower, Co Derry  (Read 3571 times)

Offline nkn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish Ancestors: Ireland to Yonkers, NY
    • View Profile
REID's in Cumber Lower, Co Derry
« on: Tuesday 28 July 15 22:44 BST (UK) »
This is my first foray into Northern Ireland.   Anyone recognize the Reid's in this neighborhood?   Any thoughts on how to proceed further?

Anne Reid, b.abt. 1832, Ireland, location unknown.

Known facts: 
*Parents – James Reid and Mary Shanahan.
*Sister – Mamie
*Lived adult life, and died, in Yonkers, NY
*Husband – Hugh Walsh

A hired researcher has discovered the following vital records, in County Derry.  Unfortunately, the records don’t include a mother’s name, so still unable to confirm.   But this is the closest the researcher has come in almost a year now – Anne with a father, James, and a possible sister, Mamie.

1) Address:  Cross, Cumber Lower, Co Derry, Presbyterian
Anne Reid, Father: James Reid
Date of Bapt: 23 Aug 1835

2) Address:  unknown, St Columb’s, Co Derry, Church of Ireland
Mary Anne (Mamie) Reid, Father: James Reid
Date of Bapt:  11 Jan 1829

Thanks.
NKN
Neely, Dalton, Gallagher, Goravin, Walsh, Coughlin, Austin, Reid, Shanahan, Hoag, McGarrell, Hannigan, O'Brien, Donovan, and Muldowny.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: REID's in Cumber Lower, Co Derry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 22:48 BST (UK) »
What religion were your Reids?

One of those baptisms is Church of Ireland and other is Presbyterian. Does the one for Mary Anne also include the name Mamie or have you added that in?

Do you have anything at all to tie in your Reids to Co. Derry?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline nkn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 23:06 BST (UK) »
1) Once Anne Reid married Hugh Walsh, and they were living in Yonkers, we assumed they were practicing Catholics, as the rest of the family in Yonkers was Catholic.  But, who knows what they were back in the mid-1800s with no records available to confirm and no obits.

2) The nickname (Mamie) actually appears in the birth record for Mary Anne.

3) Thanks for picking up the difference in the churches.   I only picked up that they were Protestant. 

4) Prior to hiring the researcher, we had no idea about a birth location in Ireland.  So, as the researcher works on her other projects, each time she is in a new county, she looks for Reids.  This is the closest she has come, so far.
Neely, Dalton, Gallagher, Goravin, Walsh, Coughlin, Austin, Reid, Shanahan, Hoag, McGarrell, Hannigan, O'Brien, Donovan, and Muldowny.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 23:31 BST (UK) »
4) Prior to hiring the researcher, we had no idea about a birth location in Ireland.  So, as the researcher works on her other projects, each time she is in a new county, she looks for Reids.  This is the closest she has come, so far.

The trouble with using that approach to search for people born before civil registration of births is that not all baptism records survive and of those do survive not all are online.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 00:19 BST (UK) »
I see both of these birth records do not include mother, which is far from ideal, looks like you may be clutching at straws.

The Anne Reid baptised Cumber Lower, Presbyterian would appear to have two siblings also baptised at same church, Elizabeth Reid 1837 and James Reid 1840, address Fawney (the general area is known as 'The Cross' which I think is taken from the adjacent townland Crossballycormick

This James Reid also appears in the 1831 Census, 7 people living in house, all Presbyterian.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/c19/007246496/007246496_00058.pdf
---

From the information you do have the name Shanahan is very rare in county Londonderry, so doubtful this is the correct family.
https://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm?fuseaction=Births&Surname=Shanahan&UserID=

Without further information, a difficult task!
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 06:27 BST (UK) »
You really need to tie down the location (parish, if not townland) from the USA end of things first.  For example, a John, James, Patrick, Mary and Bridget Reid were all baptised in the period 1831 - 1846 in County Offaly, their parents were James Reid and Mary/M. Shanahan (with minor spelling variations).

Plenty of gaps in that period for other children, but without corroboration of location, that doesn't mean they are Anne Reid's parents.   

Offline nkn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 18:04 BST (UK) »
Yes, I've pretty much decided we cannot "assume" this Anne in Northern Ireland is the person we seek.  Onward and upward......that's what retirement is for.

I see both of these birth records do not include mother, which is far from ideal, looks like you may be clutching at straws.

The Anne Reid baptised Cumber Lower, Presbyterian would appear to have two siblings also baptised at same church, Elizabeth Reid 1837 and James Reid 1840, address Fawney (the general area is known as 'The Cross' which I think is taken from the adjacent townland Crossballycormick

This James Reid also appears in the 1831 Census, 7 people living in house, all Presbyterian.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/c19/007246496/007246496_00058.pdf
---

From the information you do have the name Shanahan is very rare in county Londonderry, so doubtful this is the correct family.
https://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm?fuseaction=Births&Surname=Shanahan&UserID=

Without further information, a difficult task!

Offline nkn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 18:14 BST (UK) »
Gaffy, were you just listing those names, as an example, or are they actually found in the Offaly records?? 

I'm focusing on the names of the parents.  Even though an "Anne" is not included, I find that referral more interesting than even the Northern Ireland one.

Unfortunately, there are no records in the USA which indicate a county or townland of birth for Anne Reid (or her husband Hugh Walsh), either in official records or family tradition.   I've discovered that most of the death certs, just say "Ireland".   I did have one that say the ancestor was born in Thurles (Yea!)  and I had another one where the second wife didn't even know who his parents were (Boo!).   And most of the naturalization papers, that I have seen, only list Ireland; as do most of the immigration records.   Sometimes, I have better luck with obituaries, but this couple died in 1914, long before informational obits were common.   And the obits for their children gave no clues.

So I do my best without that info.
NKN

You really need to tie down the location (parish, if not townland) from the USA end of things first.  For example, a John, James, Patrick, Mary and Bridget Reid were all baptised in the period 1831 - 1846 in County Offaly, their parents were James Reid and Mary/M. Shanahan (with minor spelling variations).

Plenty of gaps in that period for other children, but without corroboration of location, that doesn't mean they are Anne Reid's parents.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 July 15 04:31 BST (UK) »

Gaffy, were you just listing those names, as an example, or are they actually found in the Offaly records?? 

They are real baptisms, not sure what church / religion, all of them took place in the parish of Eglish.