Author Topic: WALKER Benjamin born abt 1807 Newcastle upon Tyne  (Read 5024 times)

Offline racheljoyce

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WALKER Benjamin born abt 1807 Newcastle upon Tyne
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 18:27 BST (UK) »
Will check that one out if I can trace image...... :)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 18:28 BST (UK) »
To reply re Margaret christened 1809 in Doncaster - Benjamin was christened in Sunderland in 1806 and his possible siblings in Rothwell in 1819 and 1822....did they move around so much?

Yes - they were much more mobile than we give them credit for.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 18:30 BST (UK) »
I am afraid the only Walker witness was William at their marriages....don't know who he was so very unhelpful. Added to that Charles was a potter like his father so the connection is getting less convincing...shame. :-\

It is indeed possible we aren't going after the right family, but I don't understand why the fact that Charles was a potter makes this family less likely  :-\  :)

Offline racheljoyce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 18:32 BST (UK) »
I just feel that as Joseph was a potter and his son Charles followed him as so often happened then Benjamin being a tailor doesn't fit in so well.

I feel I really am stretching some of the connections.

Offline racheljoyce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 18:34 BST (UK) »
Joseph Walker christened in 1815 Rothwell was not their child - his father was John, an iron moulder of Low Gozlem.

I think I need a break right now......thanks so much for trying everyone!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 01 August 15 13:41 BST (UK) »
Not following the Fathers trade is not unusual then just as it is now days.
I have a Market Gardener who had 2 Sons follow his trade, another became a Blacksmith and another a Publican.

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline racheljoyce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 01 August 15 14:17 BST (UK) »
I am still thinking about the family as possibly correct. Margaret christened in 1809 in Doncaster was 'to Joseph potter' so looks like the same family.

I'll keep researching.

Offline racheljoyce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 August 15 12:57 BST (UK) »
Just to let all those who have helped along the way that I have decided to go with christening in Sunderland to Joseph Walker and Hannah Earnshaw.

I have Joseph's christening in Stoke on Trent and Hannah's in Doncaster.

Thanks again especially to Trish. I rarely use FreeReg and would have missed it.

:)

Offline nicholastolson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 11 January 21 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I have Joseph's christening in Stoke on Trent and Hannah's in Doncaster.

RachelJoyce, please could you say which Joseph you mean? Either way, I'd be very interested to know more about his christening in Stoke.

If you mean the Joseph Walker who married Hannah Earnshaw in 1803, we know from the 1851 census that he was born in Stoke, but I wonder how you narrowed down the options at that point? I came across a Stoke baptism on 9 August 1781 to William and Hannah Walker; is this the one you mean? (More conjecturally still, I found Joseph these siblings: Thomas, Myra and Charles.) Finally, and most conjecturally of all, the only plausible Staffs. marriage I could find between William Walker and Hannah X was on 12 February 1763, in Stoke, between WW and Hannah Simpson.

But perhaps the Joseph you're referring to, the one whose christening in Stoke you've managed to find, is a brother to the Benjamin about whom you initially enquired, ie, a son to Joseph Walker and Hannah Earnshaw. This would solve one problem: the fact that Benjamin's baptismal record identifies him (Benjamin) as the second son; that his elder brother would be called Joseph after his father would make sense (and Benjamin himself would have been named for his maternal grandfather, or perhaps for the biblical Joseph/Benjamin link). As I haven't been able to find this Joseph - eldest son of Joseph and Hannah - I'd be very interested indeed in his christening. One problem: why was he baptised in Stoke? True, his father - the elder Joseph - had been born there, but the elder Joseph was already "of Castleford" (in Yorkshire) when he married Hannah in 1803.

I really look forward to hearing more about your researches into this family over the past few years since this thread was last active. Many thanks.