Author Topic: Eliza Cleverly  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eliza Cleverly
« on: Wednesday 29 July 15 11:34 BST (UK) »
Eliza CLEVERLY was born c1844 in Whitchurch, Hampshire. She was the daughter of John CLEVERLY and Letitia ARCHER (née GOLDING). As far as I can see was living at Freefolk with her parents in 1851. By 1861 I believe that she was an "industrial schoolgirl" at the School of Industry in Andover.
Then in 1866 she marries George DEAN in Croydon and is living with him as Elizabeth DEAN at Lind Road, Sutton, Surrey in 1871. Then she disappears, though her husband continues to live at Lind Road with his children in 1881, 1891 and 1901. I cannot find a death for her and have no idea what happened to her.

All help gratefully received.

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Cleverly
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 11:57 BST (UK) »
The 1891 and 1901 census have George as a  widower. Will see if I can find a death.
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 11:58 BST (UK) »
Could she have gone into a mental Hospital, institution ?  where they are under initials, place of birth gender, I have lost & found some of mine & found
in institutions.
Ann
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 12:08 BST (UK) »
Struggling to see a death in Surrey - there is a death in Fareham, Hampshire in 1886 (vol 2b page 371).
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 12:34 BST (UK) »
Knowel mental Hospital was in Fareham, , if you google it you will find info & someone has researched & will do look up.s.

Ann
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 14:13 BST (UK) »
Very interesting, especially the link to Knowel Hospital. I was thinking that incarceration in some form of medical institution was a possibility.

I have now googled this institution and really need someone to do a look-up, but was unable to see anyone willing to do such a service.

Ann E did you have a specific post in mind?

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 15:24 BST (UK) »
Did you see this,<  http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/194555/>
I will P M you

Ann

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 July 15 16:30 BST (UK) »
Knowel mental Hospital was in Fareham

The name is Knowle and inmates included those incapacitated by strokes, seizures, epilepsy and paralysis, as well as those in need of psychiatric care.

I'm not surprised she's untraced in 1861 as she's transcribed (by FindMyPast) as Eliza AWORK(!) that year with family of Edward UWADIAE(!!) in Whitchurch.  A little bit of research via Christian names of his children produces their surname MARTELL  ::)   I've submitted corrections.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hazykay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 July 15 16:57 BST (UK) »
Knowle hospital, now apartments, is between Fareham and Wickham in Hampshire.  Just a mile or so to the east is Boarhunt where there was a large family of Cleverleys in the 1800s.  I don't think there was a connection with my family, but the name crops up as witnesses to my family marriages, in the same road etc.
hazykay

HANTS/budd/nobes/tolfree/grace/pannell/carter/stugnell/ware/bellinger/old/goodiff/foot/houghton/churcher/gates/cole/clear/painter/linney/shawyer/alderslade/warrin/lillywhite/pratt/horne/freeland/cheverell/billinghurst/smith/rivett/pobling/rogers/WILTS/baker/hulbert/DOR/old/phillips/IOW/nobes/smith