Author Topic: Different Father's Surname on 1850 Marriage Cerificate  (Read 1393 times)

Offline lupins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Different Father's Surname on 1850 Marriage Cerificate
« on: Wednesday 29 July 15 15:17 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage certificate for the 15th Dec 1850 marriage between Thomas Parker (36 / bachelor / farmer) and Elizabeth Miles (24 / spinster / - ) in Tenbury, Worcestershire. The place of residence of both of them is given as Old Wood.

The name of the groom's father is given as Thomas Swift and his profession as 'farmer'. He is not noted as being deceased.

Which of these is the most likely;
(1) Thomas Parker's mother remarried Thomas Swift and her first husband, the father of Thomas Parker, was named Parker, but Thomas Parker was brought up by Swift and regarded him as his 'father'.
(2) Thomas Parker's mother remarried a Parker and her first husband was Thomas Swift, the father of Thomas Parker.
(3) Thomas Parker was illegitimate, his mother was a Parker and Thomas Swift was the father
(4) Thomas Parker was illegitimate, his mother was a Parker and 'Thomas Swift' is made up name as his didn't know the name of his father.

I cannot trace a Worcestershire 'Thomas Swift' in the !841 census nor any subsequent censuses. I can't trace any local Swift/Parker/Unknown marriages 1800-1820.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Different Father's Surname on 1850 Marriage Cerificate
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 16:22 BST (UK) »
It could be any possibility, although I think #4 is the least likely. If Thomas was illegitimate and made up the father's name because he didn't know who he was, surely he would have chosen a name with the same surname as his own.

I have a couple of examples of illegitimate children who made up fathers using the forenames and occupations of the men their mothers subsequently married and adding their own surname (mother's maiden surname to it). Had quite a search for a fictitious father in both cases. 

I have another example where a single woman married, and  gave the name of a father with a different surname to her own (similar to your case).
In this instance the girl's mother and the man who she named as her father, did have Banns read a few months before the girl was born but for some reason did not marry. The couple subsequently had two more children baptised with mother's maiden surname, but with the father's surname as their middle name. After living together as man and "housekeeper" for many years they eventually did marry, when all the children had left home.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline lupins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 16:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Lizzie L.

I agree that he would have to have be quite brazen to cite an imaginary father with a surname other than his own. 

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 16:45 BST (UK) »
Have you found Thomas Parker in censuses after marriage - if so, what was his birthplace?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline lupins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi avm228,

He was born approx 1815 in Tenbury Herefordshire (now Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 17:52 BST (UK) »
There is a christening on familysearch for Thomas Parker, mother Anne parker, dec 25 1813, in laysters (leysters) Herefordshire,  laysters is very near to ten bury.

Just a thought,

Mike

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 18:41 BST (UK) »
Could work
He says he is 36 on his marriage on  15 dec 1850, which puts his dob between 16 dec 1813 and 15 dec 1814. If he was born in 3rd week of December and his mother got him baptised within a few days, it could fit.
think my maths is right  ???. (been a hard day tiling my kitchen!)
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline lupins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 July 15 00:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks mazi and LizzieL for the Laysters/Leysters IGI lead which seems to be a good fit.

The fact that the mother of Thomas Parker is given as Anne Parker with no father would seem to point in the direction of an illegitimate birth. Much now think about; I'll need to corroborate the IGI info with that from primary parish records.