Author Topic: Bridget Killian Scott of Westmeath  (Read 2017 times)

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridget Killian Scott of Westmeath
« on: Wednesday 29 July 15 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
Looking to see if anyone might have any information on my Great Great Grandmother, Bridget Killian.  I have found her in the U.S via census records.  The only information I have on where she is from in Ireland is her obituary which says she is from Westmeath, but no idea where or what Parish. 

From what I can piece together from census and obituary:

Born Westmeath around 1831.  Died Hartford, CT  12/24/1898.  Married James Scott prior to emigrating to Hartford (per the obituary, they married and then emigrated "immediately" after).  I have been unsuccessful finding a marriage record on the basic internet sites, like familysearch.  Since the census does not show any date of immigration, using the obituary, they would have emigrated around 1848.  I cannot find them, however, in the 1850 census, but they do show up on the 1860.  Their first child, Mary was born around 1850 and per the census, born in Ireland.  Per her obituary, Bridget had a sibling still alive in 1898, Patrick Killian of New York.

In the U.S. Bridget and James Scott had 5 children, 4 lived to adulthood:  Mary, Margaret, Katherine (my great grandmother) and Julia.  James died in 1892 and per his obituary would have been born around 1822 and Mary pre-deceased her mother also.

Thank you.
Laura

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Killian Scott of Westmeath
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 19:58 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of Catholic marriages didn't start until 1864 (non-Catholic ones from 1845) so if it was a Catholic marriage then the only record will be in church records.

Registration of all births also started in 1864 so you'll need a parish to start looking for church records.

Have you checked all possible records/descendants of daughter Mary to see where in Ireland she might have been born?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks...just struggling with finding the Parish...anyway, Mary died in 1888 in Hartford, never married...I'm having trouble finding a birth record for her but will keep trying!
Laura

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 20:42 BST (UK) »
Since Mary was born before 1864 the only record will be a baptism in the parish records (if they survive for that period). Suppose that Mary's death certificate says born in 'Ireland'?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 21:01 BST (UK) »
This may be a starting point:
Baptism on Jul 02 1849 in Dysart, Co. Westmeath of
Mary SCOTT (f) James SCOTT (m) Bridget (surname not recorded)
The sponsors were James KILLIAN and Mary SCOTT

LINK Zoom in to middle of page on right - it is in very light writing

In Mullingar there are baptisms to a James SCOTT and Mary KIERNAN/KEIRONS/KEENAN
Aug 1826 Bridget
Aug 1828 Catherine
Apr 1830 Judith
Sep 1831 Mary
Dec 1836 James
Jun 1839 Patrick
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thank "myluck"

Really good chance that is the correct Mary...with that, I'll try to find the marriage of Bridget and James with location and date range narrowed down!

Thanks again.
L