Author Topic: Military records  (Read 6292 times)

Offline dianet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Military records
« on: Monday 11 July 05 03:08 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about Lieutenant Robert Fraser who, while stationed with the 48th Regiment in Quebec (Canada)  in 1761, fathered an illegitimate child.

I know that the 48th was formed from Rutland and would like advice on how to proceed.

Thanks,

Diane
ASHBY (Fife), BARTY (Perth > Angus), BELL (Angus), BROWN (Angus), BROWNHILL(S) (Perth > Angus), MORRIS (Fife > Angus), SCOT (Angus), STALKER(S) (Angus), WILL (Perth > Angus > Canada)

Offline MickMac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Military records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 12:36 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the national archives at

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

There may be some discharge papers for Robert Frazer although I imagine that it's a very common name.
Barker (Staffs & Derby), Horsley (Derbyshire), Pass, (Derbyshire), Chisholm (Derbyshire & Scotland), Denton (Bedfords & Derbyshire), Wileman (Derby), Wood (Derby), Straw (Notts), Rudkin (Leics), McDermott, (Cavan), Lawler (Meath)

Offline antiquary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 20:43 BST (UK) »
It is the 58th Regiment, not the 48th, whose name was originally associated with Rutland. The 48th was the Northamptonshire Regiment. The 58th eventually merged to become a battalion of the 48th, but long after the period you are interested in. I would also caution you that many of the men who served in the county regiments did not in fact come from the county named in the regimental title (for instance, many of the 58th were Irish). Try this link to the regimental museum:
http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/museums/0000000075-northamptonshire-regiment-and-northamptonshire-yeomanry-collections.htm

Offline dianet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 September 16 22:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you, thank you, thank you Antiquary.  I found my guy.  Unfortunately, he died in combat in Cuba the year following my ancestor's birth.

ASHBY (Fife), BARTY (Perth > Angus), BELL (Angus), BROWN (Angus), BROWNHILL(S) (Perth > Angus), MORRIS (Fife > Angus), SCOT (Angus), STALKER(S) (Angus), WILL (Perth > Angus > Canada)