Author Topic: Questions about FTDNA Family Finder test and uploading the tree.  (Read 1483 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Questions about FTDNA Family Finder test and uploading the tree.
« on: Friday 31 July 15 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am new to this.  We are hoping to find an unknown father from a few generations ago.

I purchased the kit for the relative and had it sent to me.   But it's not my DNA.

I'm happy to have a limited tree available to matches on FtDNA, but the system seems to think that this kit is MY DNA, not someone else's.  Will it muck anything up if I change the name to the relative's name on the website?   When I went to do it it came up with some warning about it not beng advisable to change contact details. 

Perhaps there is somewhere on the website where you can have the details of the person managing the kit (me) and separate from that the family tree of the person whose DNA was tested.

Potentially (no results back yet) there are already three matches as there are trees for someone related to three out of the four grandparents of this person which is good.

If anyone can explain this to me I would be grateful.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about FTDNA Family Finder test and uploading the tree.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 July 15 23:30 BST (UK) »
If I read it right what you say is

1. You have an account in your name, person A
2. You have used the account to test a relative, person B
3. The tree is labelled as Person A's tree but is in fact person B's tree
4. The contact details are for person A although it is not their data

and you want to change it so that

5. The account now reads as person B's
6. The DNA tested is person B's
7. The tree is person B's
but
8. The contact details will still be person A's

finally if this is what you intend doing does the relative (person B) agree. And remember you can limit who can see the tree (although you will have to read the site for details how to do it)

That should be possible as more than one person can have complete, or limited access, to the same account if you wish. If this is what you want I would suggest emailing admin and put it to them as they may think of the best way to do it
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 August 15 08:49 BST (UK) »
I was in a similar situation (relative changed their mind so someone else took over the kit), I sent a message to FTDNA and they sorted it out.

I didn't upload any trees till after results were back, in your case it might be safest to delete the existing tree and re-upload after admin have done their stuff, will probably take them a few days.  If changing gender make sure they change the default avatar as appropriate, if it's wrong it begs the question whether the database thinks the individual has a Y chromosome when they don't (or vice versa) and who knows how this might skew the results.
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 August 15 23:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

I've revised the tree so it is now their tree.

Now the waiting game starts.  It took over three weeks for the lab to receive it after it was sent.

Offline hsfam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 August 15 22:25 BST (UK) »
Just in case anyone is interested...

I currently manage 3 accounts on FTDNA. None of them are my own.

The relatives who tested did not wish to have their details made public so I have all three accounts in my name and distinguish them by using a middle initial in square brackets to tell them apart at a glance. I made this change after the test results came in. The message about not advisable to change contact details is just to make sure you have the right details in case they have to send out another kit if the original test was not viable. The icons all show the correct gender.

I can also, if I wish, put a little story in the "About Me" section stating that I am the admin of the account but that the account belongs to a close male or female relative and to contact me for any further information. This will probably save some confusion for other people looking at the results and seeing at least two in my name (albeit with different middle initial) who happen to be from siblings.

My relatives themselves are not interested in looking at the results, fielding enquiries, etc. I do all of it.