Author Topic: Potter Wentnor  (Read 5826 times)

Offline fionah1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Potter Wentnor
« on: Friday 31 July 15 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have today gained the marriage certificate for Thomas Potter born 1805 

He married in 1830 in Wentnor church but Mary died 1850. He remarried in 1864 to Eluzabeth hill both widows

The certificate shows Jonathan Potter as father occupation Weaver

I would appreciate any help on Thomas baptism to gain the mothers name and any more information on Jonathan

Thank you advance fiona

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Potter Wentnor
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 July 15 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi their is a Thomas Potter baptism 4th January 1807 Hyssington Father Jonathan Mother Jane?

Jonathan Potter married Jane Marston/e 18th February 1792 Hyssington witnesses Timothy Roberts and Richard Marston
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 August 15 22:43 BST (UK) »
?
1841 census
Jane Potter   70  not local
Price Morris   40  ag lab  local
HO107    Piece  920    Book  21    Civil Parish Wentnor    County   Shropshire    Enumeration District   2   Page   11

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 August 15 18:49 BST (UK) »
Do you have the early census returns, it will show where he was born?
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline CookieA

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 October 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona,

I have also left a reply on your Hertfordshire post with some detail, before I read this one.

I am trying to prove wether my ancestor, Jane Potter from The Bog Wentnor, was the daughter of Thomas Potter and Mary or Richard Potter and Ann.  Both families Lead Miners at The Bog 1841 onwards.

I have found a record of Richard Potter baptised 13 May 1810 in Wentnor to Jonathan Potter and Jane.

This could well be the same Jonathan and Jane mentioned here at Hyssington (about 5 miles from The Bog). So Thomas and Richard could be bothers.

Andy
Somerset - Pole, Hill, Strong, Hartnell, Walk, Thorne, Miller, Paddock, Green, Barber, Newick, Hancock, Blackmore, Rawle
Herefordshire - Cooke, Cook, Bright, Virgo, Bridges, Williams
Shropshire - Bright, Potter, Freeman, Woodfield, Prince, Wintridge
Grangemouth/Falkirk - Boyles, Hannah, Hogarth, Dunn, Rankine, Miller, Carlaw, Alison, Thane, Crawford, Johnston
Renfrewshire / Ayreshire / Argyleshire - Currie, Watson, Taylor, Glover, Bannatyne
Dublin - Hammond
Antrim - Darroch, Lundy, Crosier

Offline Kevin Evans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 July 19 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, My maternal great grandfather was Richard Potter born in Bog ,1870. Son of Edward Potter and wife Martha. I've done extensive research through census forms and Richard moved to West Bromwich in the West Midlands around 1911.
I visited Clun ,Wentnor and Bog yesterday (July 10th 2019) and the schollohouse from the lead mines village still stands as a visitor centre. Fascinating. I also came across a Thomas Potter buried in Shelve church with his wife Elizabeth
kevin Evans

Offline fionah1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 July 19 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin

Can you tell me more about your line of potters. Thomas Potter jnr is buried with his mother Mary. But Thomas snr is also buried at Shekve. But descends from Hyssington

My mum, uncle and nan with her siblings attended the bog school which is now the visitor centre. My grt grandmother was the caretaker there when it was a school. The building which was the mine managers house opposite the outer wall of the club house is were it was situated. My grandads garden still grows strong

Did you also visit the devils chair for the views?

Fiona

Offline Kevin Evans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 July 19 06:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona,
I've managed to  go back to 1851 on Find My Past and there is mention of the Hotchkiss family living in Hyssington. Edward Potter married Martha Hotchkiss in 1868 in Clun. The 1871 census tells me that Edward Potter and Martha were living in Bog Mines and my great grandfather was 1 years old. The census states that Edward is the lodger's son, so I guess that they were living with Edward's parents? The 1881 census has Edward Potter living with Martha and Richard but the family has extended to Maria ,aged 1, and Edward junior, aged 3.
The 1891 census shows Richard has moved to Wednesbury in the West Midlands and in 1901 he's living in West Bromwich with wife Eliza.
It would be fascinating to find out what happened to the Potters still living in Bog around the 1891 census.

Offline fionah1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 July 19 15:02 BST (UK) »
I have worked it out and we are related  :)
Edward was born 1844
His father Richard  was born 1810 hyssington
They had a son born richard earlier called 1795 and died 1795
Son of Jonathan potter 1765 who married Jane marston 1771 hyssington

Jonathan and Jane are my ancestors and Thomas born 1806 is my ancestor brother to your ancestor Richard

Please private message me I have lots to share
Fiona