Author Topic: Galloway - South Leith  (Read 2745 times)

Offline miska

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Galloway - South Leith
« on: Saturday 01 August 15 11:45 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the death of James Galloway Husband of Isabella Duncan to confirm his parents. James was born in Dunfermline . The 1861 and 71 census finds him in south Leith age  58 then 69.
Isabella died in 1872 in south leith, wife of James, so I assume he was still around.
another researcher states that his son married in October 1879 and James was not marked deceased although his mother was.
I can find no death certificate for him. I have downloaded 8 possibles , all wrong.
I assume Isabella was buried in South Leith.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Davidson Midlothian & Peebleshire
Paton -Lanarkshire & West Lothian
Foster, Morrison, Linlithgow. &Peterhead
Grandison-Linlithgow,Bo,ness.
Brannan-Queens Ireland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Galloway - South Leith
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 August 15 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Miska

Given the name of James and Isabella's children, this looks a possible entry for James' birth:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTN3-W8Z

Did any of James and Isabella's children leave Scotland? Maybe father joined them after Isabella died?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 August 15 16:46 BST (UK) »
Just supporting info really...to that possible 1802 entry for James and his parents' names.

James was a joiner wasn't he? There is a Dewar Galloway, born Dunfermline c. 1802. Maybe a sibling to James? Occupation showing as a wright, which is another variant of joiner/carpenter etc.

Family in 1841, likely entry:

James Galloway 34 Wright
Isabella Galloway 35 b. Scotland
Devon Galloway 11 (likely Dewar?)
Isabella Galloway 9
Robert Galloway 6
Peter Galloway 3

Address: Townhill, Dunfermline

Monica

Offline miska

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 August 15 04:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Monica.  We have quite a lot on this family however here's the problem. We have two James' both wrights, married in Crossgates. one in 1831 to Euphemia McInnis and the other in 1832 to Isabella Duncan.
Now Euphemia and husband went to Canada around 1847 and Isa and her James were in Edinburgh by 1851.   One of these Jameses is most likely the son of Dewar and Christian, ]but which one?  I have my own idea but need some documented proof.  I hoped that I could find the Leith James' death cert to prove his parents.  How could I find out where Isa is buried ?  I will be in Scotland from the 17th of this month and hope to follow up on some burials.
          best  regards Margaret
Brannan-Queens Ireland

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 August 15 09:19 BST (UK) »
How could I find out where Isa is buried ?  I will be in Scotland from the 17th of this month and hope to follow up on some burials.

The burial records for most Edinburgh and Leith Cemeteries are held by the City of Edinburgh Council at Mortonhall Crematorium. You are no longer allowed to go there and see the records in person - you have to request a search by staff.

See http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20019/burials_and_cremations/316/burial_records for how to request a search.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 August 15 14:44 BST (UK) »
Margaret, which is your line? The line who headed off to Canada (James & Euphemia) or those who remained in Scotland to at least 1871 (James & Isabella). Always helps to undestand how the dots connect to aid with research.

I can see both on FreeCen http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl for 1841. James, married to Euphemia, showed as aged 30. With stardard rounding of ages, he could have been born anytime from 1807-11. James and Isabella, James showing as aged 34 would imply an age of c. 1806-7. However, always good to take these ages as approximate! Eldest son, for James and Isabella, clearly shows as Dewar on the freecen 1841 transcript. I still would say this is the likeliest James born to Dewar and Catherine in Dunfermline.

If you let us know who you are researching up to these lines, it would help  :)

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 August 15 14:50 BST (UK) »
Let's use son Dewar as a main link to connect families for now...

1841 census which you have with Isabella and James Galloway, with children Dewar, Isabella, robert and Peter.

1851 (by which time you think the other Galloway family of James and Euphemia had left for Canada), you have in Ediburgh James and Isabella, with children Dewar, Isabella, Peter and Margaret.

You then have them in 1861 and 1861. Death of Isabella in 1872...and then James AWOL after this...

Monica

Offline miska

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 August 15 07:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Many thanks for the link to finding grave sites. I will follow it up when I am in Scotland.

below is the outline of the family I am working on. I have added some information and tried to colour code relevant bits. hopefully it will copy with colour.
Outline Descendant Report for James Galloway

1 James Galloway b: Abt. 1743 in Beath Fife Scotland

...... + Sophia Bell b: 05 Jun 1748 in Largo Fife Scotland see notes (C114435), m: 30 Sep 1768 in Ballingry Fife Scotland (M114082) OPR Certificate Yes

............2 Christian Galloway b: 19 Nov 1769 in Ballingry Fife Scotland(C114082)

............2 James Galloway b: 09 Jun 1771 in Beath Fife Scotland (114102)OPR CERT* yes

............ + Margaret Mcinnes b: Abt. 1768 in Fossoway and Tulliebole, Kinross-shire, Scotland(C114615, m: 15 Jun 1792 in Dunfermline Fife Scotland (m119502) OPR CERT* yes

..................3 Isobel Galloway b: 15 Jun 1794 in Dunfermline Fife Scotland c119498

..................3 Andrew Galloway b: 08 Jun 1798 in Dunfermline Fife Scotland c119499
         _____________________________________________________________________________XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX______________________________________________________________________________

..................3 Dewar Galloway b: 02 Mar 1800 in Dunfermline Fife Scotland c119499 OPR CERT*, d: 17 May 1870 in Corssgates Dunfermline Fife Scotland Age 68 GRO Cert*

.................. + Robina Nicol b: Abt. 1800, m: 26 Nov 1827 in Dunfermline Fife Scotland m119507 CERT*, d: 24 Jun 1879 in 22 Drummond St Edinburgh. Scotland GRO Cert* age 79

*** THIS IS MY LINE***

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

..................3 James Galloway b: 1811 in age 30 in 1841 cen  ?????????

.................. + Euphemia McInnis b: 1816 in age 25 in 1841 census, m: 19 Nov 1831 in Dunfermline Fife Scotland

*** Unproven   *****

This James we have no birth records for, but I feel sure that James and Margaret McInnis would have had a son called James. Another researcher has the son of Dewar and Christian Cooper ( below) attached to Euphemia . for this reason we are trying to find which James is which.
________________________________________________________________________________XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX________________________________________________________________________________

..................3 Christian Galloway b: 23 Mar 1802 in Dunfermline Fife Scotland c119499

............2 Dewar Galloway b: 13 Mar 1774 in Beath Fife Scotland (114102)

............ + Christian Coupar b: Abt. 1775, m: 26 Nov 1801 in Cannongate Edinburgh, Scotland (M195003)

..................3 James Galloway b: 15 Nov 1802 in Dunfermline Fife Scotland c119499

.................. + Isabella Duncan b: Abt. 1800, m: 17 Jun 1832 in Dunfermline Fife Scotland in OPR checked, d: 02 Feb 1872 in Leith Edinburgh CERT* father Robert

the other James??? the one I can find no death cert for.???????????
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????________________________________________________

..................3 Margaret Galloway b: 09 Nov 1804 in Dunfermline Fife Scotland c119499

..................3 William Galloway b: 12 Jul 1806 in Dunfermline Fife Scotland c119499

.................. + Janet Weir b: Abt. 1808 in Dunfermline Fife Scotland, m: Abt. 1829 in most likely Dunfermline Fife Scotland

..................3 Alexander Galloway b: 04 Aug 1808 in Dunfermline Fife C119501

..................3 Sophia Galloway b: 1811 in LDS contribution

..................   + John Allun with questions m: 21 Feb 1848 in Dunfermline

............2 Alexander Galloway b: 16 Aug 1778 in Beath Fife Scotland C114102
Brannan-Queens Ireland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 August 15 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

From the info you have included above, the two James Galloways look to be peers to the Dewar Galloway b. 1800 who married Robina Nicol. Dewar and Robina went on to have their own son James didn't they, born c. 1835-6. James shows with parent(s) right up to 1871 in Edinburgh. Sure you have your line all sorted.

Dewar Galloway is not that common a name, so guessing that the James who married Isabella could have been brother to Dewar b. 1800 (with parents Dewar and Christina/tian Co(w)oper)? I haven't seen anything so far really re the James who married Euphemia in respect of line, children's names etc except for that 1841 entry.

Monica