Author Topic: Drayton ancestors pre 1700  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Discoveringmypast

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Drayton ancestors pre 1700
« on: Saturday 01 August 15 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've managed to research back to my 7 x great grandparents Henry Drayton and Joan Hixt although I can't find either of their baptisms/parents.

I found their marriage record (24th June 1710 in Stocklinch Ottersey, Somerset) and the baptisms of their five children between 1711-1719 in Barrington, Somerset which is where they then appeared to live - as did quite a few Draytons.

I can find Draytons in Barrington parish records prior to 1700, but I can't seem to link Henry with any of them.  (Although I did find a baptism in 1681 without a Christian name, so that may be him.)

It's the same with Joan Hixt, I can find the name linked to Stocklinch Ottersey (and other areas) but not her baptism.  (Of course with a name like Hixt it's open to different spelling versions!)

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Sue

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Drayton ancestors pre 1700
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 August 15 04:45 BST (UK) »
You may have missed a Daughter;
Baptisms;
1 May 1811   DRAYTON   John   
26 Nov 1712   DRAYTON   William   
28 Dec 1714   DRAYTON   Joan   
26 Dec 1716   DRAYTON   Henry   
26 May 1719   DRAYTON   Alex   
18 Aug 1723   DRAYTON   Ann
Parents HENRY/JOAN/e
(Source FreeeREG)

The 1681 unnamed Drayton may be yours as Henry names his 1st Son John
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 August 15 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes I think you're right, the 1681 baptism without a forename is probably Henry.  I wonder if the first two sons they had were named after his father and Joan's father (or maybe his grandfather?). Their third child was a girl so was named after Joan then the fourth child another son, so named after Henry.

If this is the case, I can only find one John Drayton (who may have been Henry's father) who got married (around this time) to Joane Loveridge on 10th June 1670 in Chard, which I think is less than 10 miles from Barrington - it could have been the bride's parish?

I can't seem to find any children born that ties up with their names for ten years until 20th June 1680 when a John and 'Jone' had a son named John junior in Barrington, then the unnamed son the following year - my Henry?  Any other suggestions would be great!

Many thanks for your reply (and the 'extra' daughter!)

Kind regards

Offline RayWitt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 March 17 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue.

The Drayton name is in my family tree too, and if what I have collected is right, your Henry Drayton is my 8th great-uncle, his sister Joan (who I think but can't prove) was born in 1677 and is my 7x great-grandmother who married Robert Stower on 2 Feb 1699 at the Church of Saint Mary, Barrington. I have your Henry as being born 1681 also (again, no proof but from hints and members on ancestry).
Just wondering if you found out any further information on the family?

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 March 17 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray

Thanks for your reply.  I have recently re-looked at my Drayton line and am now a little unsure of the previous information I discovered.

Mary Drayton is definitely my 4 x great grandmother who married William Hardwill and I know they married on 30th March 1795 in Kingston St Mary, Somerset.

But I'm having trouble confirming who Mary's parents were.  There are two possible baptisms for her, both in Barrington, Somerset.  It's either:

- born 1774 to Edward and Joan Drayton
or
- born 1779 to Samuel and Mary Drayton

So until I can work out who her parents were, I'm unable to go back any further with any certainty, although I'm sure we are 'cousins' somewhere in that line!

William and Mary didn't name any of their children 'Joan' which they may have done had Mary's mother been called Joan, although that's only a guess.

If you have you discovered any more details or can shed any light on this I would be very grateful.

Best wishes
Sue