Author Topic: NSW: Thomas WILLIAMS (Mark QUINN), born1829, Birmingham, Warwickshire  (Read 1196 times)

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
NSW: Thomas WILLIAMS (Mark QUINN), born1829, Birmingham, Warwickshire
« on: Saturday 01 August 15 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thomas WILLIAMS, real name Mark QUINN, born 1829 Birmingham, Warwickshire, parents Mark and Prudence QUINN.   He was transported for 7 years as an "Exile" aboard the Maitland, arriving Williamstown 09/11/1846.   His brother Luke, born 1833, ( there were also Matthew and John!!) was also an "Exile" aboard the Thomas Arbuthnot, arrived Williamstown, 04/05/1847.......he may have died in Wilcannia, NSW, in 1886.

TROVE has a few entries for a Mark QUINN, both in Victoria and NSW, but impossible to identify as no age given, for instance, or reference to background.  I have a note from my Luke QUINN research that Mark QUINN may have moved to Goulburn, NSW, where he married and raised a family, leaving many descendants.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

BAC3

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: NSW: Thomas WILLIAMS (Mark QUINN), born1829, Birmingham, Warwickshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 August 15 21:09 BST (UK) »
Where does he fit into your FH which may help in any search?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 August 15 21:57 BST (UK) »
Mark Quinn being a  Parkhurst Boy who was retrained as a shoemaker.

Have you this death record?
1535/1880     Mark Quinn   father:Mark    died: Sydney  Registered:Sydney.

If Mark Quinn had a large family finding any births in the NSWBDM is a challenge.

You obviously have this one:
14247/1886     Luke Quin    age: 50 years    died:Wilcannia Registered Wilcannia.

Luke Quin, the convict was: Luke was the son of Mark and Prudence Quinn. In 1841 he lived in Barford St, St Martins Birmingham. It was a warren of tenements and small back yard factories. His brother john Quinn born in 1820 was also believed to have been transported.
http://www.convictrecords.com.au/convicts/quinn/luke/15193

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 August 15 06:01 BST (UK) »
Have you this death record?
1535/1880     Mark Quinn   father:Mark    died: Sydney  Registered:Sydney.

SMH 27Aug1880 http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13467010
THE FRIENDS of the late Mr. MARK QUINN, Cab Proprietor, are respectfully invited to attend his Funeral; to move from his late residence, Athlone-place, THIS (Friday) AFTERNOON, at quarter to 3 o'clock, for Petersham Cemetery. J. and G. SHYING and CO., Undertakers, 747, George-street South, and 140, Liverpool-street. 
I.O.O.F., M.U.—The Officers and Brethren of the Loyal Wandering Minstrel Lodge, together with the Officers and Brethren of the various Lodges in the Sydney District, are respectfully requested to attend the Funeral of our late departed Brother, MARK QUINN; to move from his late residence, Athlone-place, off Parramatta-street, at 3 o'clock THIS DAY,  Friday, to the Petersham Cemetery. SYDNEY NEWTON, N.G. JOHN J. PASCALL, Secretary.

Mark Quinn - Date of death 25 August 1880
Probate packet: http://investigator.records.nsw.gov.au/Entity.aspx?Path=%5CItem%5C298047
Deceased Estate file http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ftl/

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 August 15 10:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your help.  I am very grateful.

There is some confusion, however, as to the ACTUAL QUINN who was transported, other than Luke.   I have researched the appropriate Indexes and, unless I have overlooked an entry, there is no mention of a John QUINN, born 1820, being sentenced and transported from Warwickshire, only Mark QUINN alias Thomas WILLIAMS.

The Burial Notices are definitely interesting, especially with the NSW Index showing his father was Mark.   Sadly no age is quoted which would possibly help confirm his identity.

For the moment,

BAC3

Offline sandiP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 December 17 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have been researching the Quin family for some time.
Mark & Prudence Quinn nee Knock had nine children.
I am related through their daughter Caroline 1824 - 1875.
Mark Quin Senior was arrested  30 July 1836 for assault & robbery. He was  sentenced to death but the sentence was commuted to  transportation for life. On the 27 May 1837 he was sent to Tasmania aboard the ship Recovery. He died in 1843.
You know that sons Mark arrested in 1842 as Thomas Williams and Luke arrested  1843 were both Parkurst Boys who were sent to Williamstown.
John Quin was their 3rd child. He was arrested in 1932 aged 12 found guilty of larceny and sentenced to be whipped. he moved to Bristol where he was arrested on the 19 October 1840 and sentenced to 6 mths imprisonment. On the 14 September 1841 he married Amelia Weare at St Nicholas Church Bristol.
In the 1851 census Amelia Quin was living with her parents still in England with no children.
The next time we find them together is when Amelia Prudence Quin/ Williams was born in 1857 in Bathurst NSW. She died as a baby. They had several children but only one survived to adulthood.
A descendant researching the family claimed that John Quin was transported and changed his name to Thomas Williams. She has since passed away so can't be asked.
A John Quin was arrested and tried at the Bathurst Assizes 2nd  April 1842 for forgery and transported to Hobart Tasmania. He was given a free pardon in 1849.
 There was certainly a man called John Quin living in Goulburn in 1848 who worked as a servant for a Mr Webb who had a store at the Tamut. On the evening of the 5th May a James Roachford stole some clothes from John Quin which included his Ticket of Leave.
 These accounts were reported in the Local newspaper. The Goulburn Chronicle.

We  have no way of knowing how John and Amelia reached Australia or why Thomas Williams was such a popular alias but they were certainly 2 different men. They told their family that they were bounty immigrants but I can't find their names on any list.
I would love to know what happened to Mark & Luke  after they reached Williamstown.
Sandi P

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 December 17 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandi,

I have sent you a Personal Message offering a full narrative for Luke QUIN, but Mark, I'm afraid, presents a problem, mostly because "Thomas WILLIAMS" is such a popular name and many entries have to be sifted through in various indexes and very few show Mark QUIN as the alias!!

Tony