Author Topic: Parkburn House Kilsyth  (Read 4378 times)

Offline Pamchetland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parkburn House Kilsyth
« on: Sunday 02 August 15 11:44 BST (UK) »
I have read on this site that Parkburn House was owned by Crighton Stevenson, I can remember my mother talking about both Parkburn House and Chrighton Stevenson, other than that I know that we used to visit Harry Stevenson and his wife Kathleen Stevenson in Kilsyth around the 1940s, Kathleen was my mother's cousin and Harry Stevenson was Chrighton Stevenson's brother
Kathleen was Kathleen Taggart Miller before she married she had a sister Jenny Miller who married Peter Linn St Clair the third sister Minnie married and lived in Kelvin Way in Kilsyth but I cannot remember her married name, Kathleen, Minnie were both born in Ireland Jenny in Kilsyth and their parents were Alexander Miller and Mary Ellen Taggart both from Ireland, Mary Ellen Taggart's parents were George Taggart and Mary Ann Wallace according to her DC
I am trying to find the connection between my mother's family and the the Millers as my grandmother was also born in Ireland(Co Antrim) her maiden name was Kate McIntyre
I am hoping that may trigger some memories that could help

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Parkburn House Kilsyth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Pamchetland,
I have sent you a personal message, as the St. Clair family from Kilsyth
is part of my family tree. You can contact me if you require more info by personal message.
As e-mail addresses are not allowed on the main board, but only on personal messages.
yours,
Wilton Endeavour 
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline Marie Christie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 September 15 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi There I have hit a brick wall tracing my mothers birth mother. My mother was born in Parkburn House Kilsyth on 4/1/1927 at 10.00pm, her mother was Agnes Connor domestic servant whose address was given as 9 Church Lane Kilsyth. No fathers name was added. I have searched census records and Scotlands people without success for Agnes Connor, there is no marriage or death that I could find. One story was that Agnes was a young Irish girl who was brought to Kilsyth to have her baby which was then adopted. My mother was brought up by the McKenna family since birth. On her birth certificate her name is given as Bridget McKenna Connor so they knew they were taking her. The Connor was dropped and my mother was always knows as Bridget McKenna until she married my dad Terry Christie from Croy..There was no legal adoptions in 1927 so there are no records there either. Any help much appreciated.....Marie

Offline Pamchetland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 September 15 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie
My mother used to visit Kilsyth around 1933-1935 ish she came over from Ireland to visit her cousins and I know she used to visit Parkburn House her direct relatives were Millers Taggarts and ther were also Doyles all of them Irish but so far I have not been able to come to any conclusions about who is connected to who
My mother's mother was the connection and she was from Co Antrim the Doyles I think were just friends were from Dublin where my mother's family settled after my grandfather when he retired from the army
I have looked at the 1911 Irish Census and there are a few Agnes Connors on it but kind of difficult to pick out one
The story about Agnes being sent over to have her baby seems quite feasible given all the Irish connections around Parkburn House but I am more  inclined to think that as on her BC  she is named Bridget McKenna Connor that perhaps her father was one of the McKenna sons and his mother and father then adopted her
I have found Bridget McKenna on an Ancestry tree which gives her parents as Edward McKenna and Bridget Higgins they were both from Co Monaghan
I have attached a picture of Bridget Higgins and one of Bridget McKenna I hope
Pam

Offline Pamchetland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 September 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
Here is the one of Bridget McKenna

Offline Marie Christie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 September 15 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there this is my mother and grandmother.... Def wasn't one of the McKenna's who was the father, my mother was told about her adoption when she was getting married and her birth mothers name, would have been told who her father was if he was known. Where did you find details of  an Agnes Connor? Thanks for your reply...

Offline Pamchetland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie
I found the information and pictures on an Ancestry family tree, if you have access to Ancestry it is  Coyle Family tree, I just entered Bridget McKenna b 1927 Kilsyth and up it came
It has occured to me that perhaps a sister of Bridget Higgins or Edward McKenna had married somebody called Connor and Agnes was their daughter, it seems to me that there must be some connection for Agnes to be sent to Kilsyth
I had thought of trying to get in touch with the Coyle tree to see if they knew anything about it
Pam

Offline Pamchetland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie
I have contacted the Coyle Tree but in the meantime I have discovered that there was an Agnes Connor born to a James Connor and Margaret Fox in 1908 in Coatbridge and by 1911 they were living in Kilsyth so perhaps this could be your Agnes Connor who by the age of 19yrs may well have been working in Parkburn House as a domestic help
Pam

Offline Marie Christie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam thanks for that, sounds like it could be the missing link....regards Marie