Author Topic: What happened to Richard Wallis's children?  (Read 1741 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to Richard Wallis's children?
« on: Sunday 02 August 15 13:43 BST (UK) »
Richard Wallis was baptised in Chilton, Berks on 20 July 1800 and married Martha Buckle on 2 April 1822. I can find baptisms for Daniel and 3 x John to Richard and Martha in Chilton. The last John being in 1831, so presumably the two previous ones died young.

Can anyone find out what happened to John and Daniel. On the 1841 census Richard and Martha have an Adam and a Jesse with them, but I don't know if they were actually their children. I can't find their baptisms.
In 1851 and 1861 Martha is a lodger with different families. Richard was transported for life in 1843.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Richard Wallis's children?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 August 15 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizz,

I suspect I have the same sources as you and can't really help much.

However, there is a baptism for Adam Wallace s/o Richard & Martha 7-7-1822 in Chilton and a John Wallace 11-11-1827 (I presume he is one of the 3 you refer to.)

There is also a burial for Daniel Wallace 21-4-1831 aged 16 months (no other info listed) also a John Wallace aged 21,  31-7-1845  abode - Wantage Workhouse

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Richard Wallis's children?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 August 15 07:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, you've confirmed Adam was Richard and Martha's son. The burial of Daniel would fit if he was baptised at 4 months old, which is quite possible.
I have found baptisms of three Johns, the 1827 baptism is the middle one, the last of the Johns was baptised on 8 May 1831, so middle John must have died before then. As it looks as though Daniel was born Dec 1829, I would think middle John was still alive then, otherwise Daniel would probably have been called John.

The John who died in Wantage workhouse would have been born about 1824, so he doesn't look like he's the right one.

Since posting my original message, I have been looking at some local papers. I knew Richard had been transported for life, but now I have found a reference to Jesse in reports on the Chilton Fires.

Devizes and Wilts gazette 2 mar 1843

"Richard Wallis, Jesse Wallis (his son), Richard Wallis, Joseph Annette (sic), Joseph Blisset and James Wilson"  all transported for life except Jesse who was transported for 15 years.

I don't know whether repeating "Richard Wallis" was an error or there were two Richards. I haven't come across another one. I'm related to all except James Wilson!

So two sons accounted for, still Adam and John to find.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott