Author Topic: Thomas Clark  (Read 3007 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Clark
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 November 15 18:05 GMT (UK) »
hi YO8

As Carole has already mentioned, you cannot really move on with the search without that 1913 marriage cert. Although, being English cert., it will only include father's name, it is 50% of the way there (assuming he gave the right name for his father).

You have a potential birth date now with the 1939 identity registration. Hopefully, this will help further now.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 November 15 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Just been looking at www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl for the children of Thomas and wife Harriet Elizabeth. Nine (?), mostly born in Goole and Selby it seems.

Have you looked at the 1911 census for possible entries for Thomas. I can see one in Selby for example that could fit, but not with the birth place in Scotland you have been discussing.

Can't add more here as due to copyright from pay to view sites, except SP for Scotland, we cannot discuss possible 1911 census entries for England or Wales here on RC...

But, the 1913 marriage is the best place to start really now.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 November 15 19:38 GMT (UK) »

....I found a Thomas Clark from Lasswade in the 1911 census lodging a few miles away from my grandmother's home and thought it too much of a coincidence, it wasn't until weeks later when I received the marriage cert. that I found out my G.grandfather was called George.  There is a Thomas Clark born illegitimately about the right time in the Dumfries area but I've no way of telling if this is the right one either.

;) So you have that 1911 entry then...! And, more importantly, you do have the marriage cert already. What was George's occupation on this, mining related?

Monica

PS: Guess the illegitimate birth you mentioned from 2013 didn't follow through... :-\

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 November 15 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
As a recap I have a copy of the wedding certain which states his fathers name as George and occupation as miner. It was not until I obtained a copy of the 1939 register that I got a birth date as all I could do was estimate his birth from his gravestone. The illegitimate birth did not follow through which now makes me think that he may have been born elsewhere and moved to Dumfrieshire with his family or it could be a red herring. Also I have not been able to find him on the 1911 census.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 November 15 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Reading again through the other post, just wanted to add again here:

Could the records have been destroyed in a fire?
I have been informed by a cousin that in 1944 Thomas needed his birth certificate to complete a grant application for my aunt to attend grammar school.  They travelled to Scotland (Dumfries?) to the records office and were informed that some records from that time, including his, had been badly damaged/destroyed in a fire.  (He was issued with some documentation for the grant to be processed).

Have seen this kind of family lore come up before on a number of searches. All the statutory BMD records for the GROS are maintained in Edinburgh from the start of official registration in 1855. Copies of registers were inspected/copied/sent to Ediburgh by all registrars. Any possible fire would have been at a local level, but records are also in Edinburgh. Given that you have been using SP, the online window to the GROS now, and cannot find anything so far connecting Thomas to a father George would make me think that the family stories are not what they seem....but you likely know that already for sure  :-\

Have you considered following through on the possible school records you refer to? Many schools have kept great historical records of pupils.

Monica

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 November 15 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica, thanks once again for your assistance I do seem to be going round in circles but there must be information somewhere. I will keep searching you never know one day I might get lucky