Author Topic: Helen Thomson (m.s. Murray) of Buckie  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Helen Thomson (m.s. Murray) of Buckie
« on: Sunday 02 August 15 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find more information on a woman called Helen Murray.

Helen was born on 8th January 1893 at 13 Cluny Terrace, Buckie to John Murray and Isabella Cowie. She married George Thomson on 17th December 1915 at the Parish Church in Buckie. George was residing at 1 Mid Street in Buckie at the time; this was a big family house so I'm assuming they both lived there for a short time.

I was able to find George's death but I found nothing for Helen. George died on 28th February 1929 at the Royal Naval Hospital in Chatham, Kent. I don't know if they had any children or not (I did search for births in the Buckie area but all to no avail).

As it turns out George's sister Helen 'Nellie' Thomson (1891-1972) married Helen's brother James Murray (1890-1964) so I have their details in my tree. As far as I know 1 Mid Street was passed down to Nellie and her husband James. I have no clue if Helen Murray perhaps lived there as a widow.

Nellie Thomson was known as 'Nellie Law', Law being the tee-name for the Thomson family. My grandfather who knew Nellie Law personally said that she had relatives in Australia so it's possible that it may have been her sister-in-law Helen Murray.

I'd just like to know her whereabouts and when she died.

Thanks,

Greg

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Thomson (m.s. Murray) of Buckie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 August 15 20:40 BST (UK) »
Helen was only 36 when widowed so have you looked for a re-marriage as Helen Thomson
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Thomson (m.s. Murray) of Buckie
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 13:33 BST (UK) »
I searched for marriages after 1929 in the Buckie area but I didn't find anything. Not exactly sure how her husband George ended up at a military hospital in Kent but it raises the question of whether or not she married in England. If I could track her location it wouldn't be so complicated.