Author Topic: Bryan Boyle & Bridget Daly Abbeydorney  (Read 3538 times)

Offline hongkongtiff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bryan Boyle & Bridget Daly Abbeydorney
« on: Sunday 02 August 15 18:42 BST (UK) »
Is anyone able to shed light on the birth and marriage records for a Bryan Boyle and Bridget Daly Boyle.Their connections appear to be with Abbeydorney,  Kilflynn, Rattoo, Listowel, Garrybawn, Dromakee, Tralee, the north of Tralee. I have all the details of their known children Mary, John, Brian and Bernard from 1873 when Mary was baptised. There also appear to be problems with the Abberdorney records as the last two church marriage records for Boyles in the 19 Century at Abberdorney  are 1999 John Boyle and Margaret Broder (Broderick), Bryans son and for some reason the previous marriage record in 1873 is of another John Boyle and Johanna Wall who's father is also Bryan Boyle. This would not be so bad but Johanna Walls mother is noted as Bridget Daly who in 1875 gives birth to the John Boyle who is getting married in 1899. Would a man have two sons called John and why is Bridget down as the mother of Johanna? As I said we have the records of their descendants but cannot move further back with the family. The fact he appears to be called Bernard on his daughter Marys baptism record also confuses. We know its common for nicknames to be used instead of given names in Ireland much to annoyance of researchers! Trips to Kilarney records have proved unhelpful. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bryan Boyle & Bridget Daly Abbeydorney
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 August 15 20:30 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the record of the 1873 marriage there were a number of changes to the entry - wonder if names were reversed? Link http://137.191.249.36/registers/vtls000634224#page/28/mode/1up

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 August 15 21:28 BST (UK) »
Bernard and Bryan were interchangeable.

I've seen it numerous times.

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 August 15 21:29 BST (UK) »
Where are my manners ?

I forgot to say Welcome  ;D

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 August 15 21:30 BST (UK) »
So is it Bryan and Bridget's marriage that you are looking for ?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 August 15 21:54 BST (UK) »
The marriage doesn't appear to have been civilly registered which makes things tricky.

I'd say the clerk / priest just made a mess of filling in the register.

It's possibly the marriage of John and Johanna and Bryan and Bridget were the witnesses OR visa versa.

I don't think parentage was part of what they wrote down, even though they should.

Tara

Offline hongkongtiff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 August 15 22:20 BST (UK) »
HI Annclare and Tara
Thank you for your information. I had not seen this micro fiche of the actual record. Its pretty appalling. I don't think anybody could read or write so were depending on the priest etc to fill in the form. Yes it Bryan and Bridget's details I am after initially (Bryan with a Y or an I or an E or an A? does it matter! It definitely looks like Johnny and Johanna got married and Bryan and Bridget stood for both. I don't know where this takes me now as  I said in 1875 a John Boyle is baptised and he gets married in 1899 in the same church! Did Johnny die? You would think that Bridget would have had a number of children leading up to the marriage of Johnny but there are no records of them. Did they all die? I couldn't find a record of the 1899 marriages on that site can you? When you say the marriage  was not civilly registered did you mean Bryan and Bridget or Johnny and Johanna? It would be good if it Bryan and Bridget were the happy couple and everything is mixed up but how do we prove it? Looking at Johnny and Johanna those names are pretty close in characters as well......  Any ideas?

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 August 15 22:25 BST (UK) »
I can't see ANY Bernard / Bryan (or variant) marriages to a Bridget Daly.

You have found an 1899 marriage connected to an earlier baptism.

Some clerks / priests did this but not all, it's purely random.

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 August 15 22:31 BST (UK) »
Also, you said Bryan and Bridget's first child was born 1873 so I would be under the presumption that they got married prior to this.

IF they did marry prior to 1873 and the marriage that we are looking at is for John and Johannah the Bridget SHOULD be down as a witness under her married name ie Bridget Boyle.

Tara