Author Topic: Divorce papers: To order or not to order?  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Divorce papers: To order or not to order?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 August 15 20:29 BST (UK) »
My gt- grandmother tried to divorce her husband in 1914 and it was reported in the papers even though it was far from high profile.

I got copies of the divorce papers and I'm glad that I did, but I'm extremely glad that my grandmother (her daughter) has died and therefore doesn't know that I know things that were kept a very tight secret. Poor gt-granny went through the mill and was publicly shamed (even though she was the innocent party) and then the presiding judge refused to grant the divorce anyway!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Divorce papers: To order or not to order?
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 09:02 BST (UK) »
Just to add a bit to my earlier post.  There was an element of sadness about the divorce of one of the great aunts.  She was deserted by the husband, got an order for restitution of conjugal rights which he ignored so sued for divorce.  During the proceedings, the poor soul died from appendicitis so the action was discontinued.  She thus died married although her intention was to have been shot of the husband.

The  divorce of the other great aunt reeks of collusion even though the parties signed up to the fact that there wasn't any.  Husband was a solicitor and would have known the tricks to go through.  No proof to hand but it just feels that way!

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia