Author Topic: Old Newton Parish Kirk ( St. Mary's )  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Newton Parish Kirk ( St. Mary's )
« on: Sunday 02 August 15 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi friends,

I came across some names from an 1884 Paper, it referes to the old St. Mary's Church that was in the Parish of Newton, Midlothian. All that is left now is a handsome Tower but the Chapel has long gone and so are the graves, to reach the Tower you have to go through Millarhill Village heading towards Musselburgh, just past Jewson's the building Merchants there is a narrow lane, you can walk or cycle to the Tower and this takes you under the motorway, the Tower is surrounded by Trees.

Please don't get this Village mixed up with Newton in East lothian, the Village of Newton that refers to the burials sadly no longer exists, however, the original house is still there.

Anyway, here are some names for you to ponder over.

There was a long stone with the these inscriptions on it. " Here Lys Bessie Nicholsone 1607 and Robert Young 1578, possibly husband and wife.

The next stone was seven feet tall by 3 and six inches across and this is the inscription.

" Here Lyes Margaret Johnstoun Spouse to William Baigrie, Tennant at Woolmet who departed this life the 10 Day of July 1725, her age 34 years, and Christian and Elizabeth their children. "

" Here Lyes John Johnstoun Tennant in Edmonstoun, Edgehead, who departed this life the 27 day of Sept. His age 37 years. "   

At the bottom of the stone there is this.

" Here Lyes John Johnstoun who deceased  --------- 1738 " Could be father and son.

The next stone measures seven feet and six inches by four feet, it reads.

" Here Lyes James YoungTennant in Woolmet who departed this life the 21 May 1720 his age 55.
and Elispeth King his spouse who departed this life 1 January 1726, her age 42, and Jean and Margaret Young their children. "
Another stone has on it.

" G.A. AND I.R. it thhen goes on to read.

" Here Lyes George Aitchison Tennant at Neatown ( Newton ) who dy'd th 5 February 1750 aged 57 years. And Janet Robertson his spouse who dyed the 22 May 1749 aged 53.
Here lyes two sons and three daughters of George Aitchison, Farmer in Neatown and Janet Robertson his Spouse, they dy'd betwixt the years of 1719, 1733, and betwixt the I and IV of their age.

Another stone reads.

" Here Lyes Janet Elphinstoun, spouse toThomas Hadaway , who departed this life June the 2 1620, her age 38 years.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Georgina17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Old Newton Parish Kirk ( St. Mary's )
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 20:35 BST (UK) »
General Information:

Cholera Outbreaks: In 1832, 117 people were buried outside Newton Parish Kirk Cemetery.  This was not the first outbreak, nor the last.    Ten people in the Millerhill district of Newton died from Cholera (one from British Cholera) between 1 January and 14 January 1847. 

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 16 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Georgina17,

I am sorry that I have not replied to your last post which is really interesting I just wonder if due to that, that is why the Village has gone as it was not very big to start with, I heard that the Farmer was fed up Ploughing the fields as he kept on bring up body's and the place they were buried in was not consecrated ground.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Georgina17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 February 16 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Archie,
The information regarding the farmer finding bones etc is interesting too.   A couple of my ancestors died from cholera in the area in the 1840's/early 50's which is why I looked up the information. It is thought that the coming of the railway allowed the disease to spread more rapidly between the towns and villages. 
Next time I am in the region I hope to have a look myself, but I understand it is pretty well overgrown.
Thanks for the info.

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 February 16 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Georgina

The railways may have been responsible for the faster spread of some diseases, but cholera would not have been amongst them.  It is seldom transmitted from person to person, and is usually acquired via contaminated drinking water, or food.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline Georgina17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 February 16 23:56 GMT (UK) »
I did wonder about that myself!