Author Topic: Where is this #4  (Read 8531 times)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this #4
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 27 August 15 12:50 BST (UK) »
Just looking at some pictures of the Atherton Tableland (via Mr Google) - what an absolutely stunning place!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 27 August 15 12:55 BST (UK) »
Beautiful .... and has seen much tragedy too. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 27 August 15 16:00 BST (UK) »
Arent they cabins? Not caravans

Have to have another look

I was just thinking that when I looked at the enlarged picture - they look too squat somehow for caravans......and the doors look too tall.
Glad to see you thought so too David.
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 27 September 15 09:29 BST (UK) »
Just looking at some pictures of the Atherton Tableland (via Mr Google) - what an absolutely stunning place!

Has this been solved?  OH and I still expect that we will be in the area next weekend. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 27 September 15 10:43 BST (UK) »
I'm staying here in the Atherton Tablelands for another couple of weeks and will ask some locals what they think.  If it's this area, those buildings on the left could be workers' accommodation in the old days of rainforest logging.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 28 September 15 15:43 BST (UK) »
I've shown the picture to several people in two local towns, including visitor centre staff and a local historian.  None of them thought it was a Tablelands scene - one said the church was too grand for this area, but the small buildings might be part of a mining camp elsewhere in Australia.

Not sure whether this helps much :-\

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 10:45 BST (UK) »

Has this been solved?  OH and I still expect that we will be in the area next weekend. 

Cheers,  JM

JM, I believe Spidermonkey has had internet problems which would explain why she hasn't posted.  As you can see, I've drawn a blank here.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 10:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol,

We intend getting to Herberton and Ravenshoe this Sunday, so I will show around there too, just in case. 

I am sure Spidermonkey will be back once the internet realises how important it is that we can sort this out for her.   :)  :)

Cheers,  JM

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 10:08 BST (UK) »
Huzzah!  I have found the portal that brings me back to the land of internet.  Not that I am blaming Windows 10 for everything, but updating certainly didn't help matters.........

No - this beauty still hasn't been found  :'( but thank you both for flashing the photo around the Atherton Tablelands  :-*