Author Topic: Renwicks of Roxburghshire  (Read 8942 times)

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Renwicks of Roxburghshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 15:10 BST (UK) »
I haven't yet found Blackleemouth itself, but BlackLee Cottages still exist and appear on Bing's OS map at 55.382806, -2.652873.

ScotlandsPlaces contains an entry in the 1858 OS Name Book for Blacklee Cottages. It locates them as being 1/2 mile south of Hobkirk village and describes them as: "A few cottages with gardens attached, occupied by labourers. They are the property of Walter Elliot Esq of Wolflee."

Ian

Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
Douglas Scott project is regularly update the version I  look at was update last weekend  and I  was checking my renwicks tonight  and notice that your James and Benjamin (molecatcher) show up on pages 1659 & 1660 

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 August 15 15:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help locating Blackleemouth.  Also I checked the pages 1659 and 1660 in the Scott resource and reread the information about James and Benjamin Renwick.  However, the dates (birth and death) don't match the dates I have for James and Benjamin Renwick in my genealogy.               Bev

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 August 15 16:48 BST (UK) »
Worth checking info don't get too worried  about date his dates are generally. Circa

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 August 15 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
I have another question for someone. 
The ancestor in my chart, Benjamin Renwick, in the census of 1851 lived with his father named George Renwick. He was 13 and their address was Whitrigs.  In 1876 he married Margaret Minto, and in the census of 1891 Benjamin was a widower and lived with his children at the Fox and Hound Inn.  In the census of 1901 he lived at Paradise Cottage.
Is there anyway to tell where these addresses (Whitriga, Fox and Hound and Paradise Cottage) are located in Roxburghshire.  Again thanks for any help.
Bev

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 August 15 09:19 BST (UK) »
Couple of options re fox & hound are denholm or bonchester bridge

Also could be worth tracking the name Benjamin seems to be a family name with your renwicks

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 August 15 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Bev,

I've looked at the censuses.

Whitrigs (called Whitriggs today) is just south of Denholm in Cavers parish - 55.434418, -2.694514

The Fox and Hounds Inn is at Denholm and apparently still exists - worth googling it for its exact location etc

Paradise Cottage is also in Cavers parish but I haven't quite worked out where yet.

I'm intrigued, Bev, because Whitrig(g)s is only a mile north of Nether Tofts Farm where my 5th and 6th g-grandfathers (both called William Lorrain) were born a century and a bit earlier, and because my 3rd gt-uncle, James Lorrain, married the daughter of a John Henry and Elspeth Renwick. Elspeth was born at Eskdalemuir and I was wondering if she was connected to your Renwicks, though I know there are lots of them around.
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 August 15 20:43 BST (UK) »
I may have an error in my genealogy facts so I'm doing some investigating.  As soon as I finish, I'll respond to comments recently posted.

Offline pelirroja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 08 August 15 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, After reading the resources by Tancred and Douglas Scott, I checked to see if I had errors in my research but my facts seem documented.  My family lived in Denholm for many years.  In fact their original cottage is now the Post Office in the town.  I see that the Whitings and the Fox and Hound are in or near Denholm so that makes sense with my genealogy.

To the individual who asked about Elspeth Renwick, I couldn't find her in my family but I'm not very far back in the lineage, only to my 3rd grt-grandfather, George Renwick.
In case anyone is interested, I'm going to send the death certificate of my 2nd grt-grandfather, James Renwick, and the one for George Renwick in another post. I appreciate all the responses.