Author Topic: Map(s) of part of Leicester  (Read 2155 times)

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Map(s) of part of Leicester
« on: Monday 03 August 15 01:46 BST (UK) »
Folks,
I have been trying to find a map or two of part of Leicester around 1800-1850 or so.  I just can't seem to find what I need at a useful scale.  I don't usually ask people to do my work for me.

The area in which I am interested includes parts of St Margaret's and All Saints parishes. (See attached image.) I had family that moved around in a very small area over about 60 years. I have actually visited the location, but before I had much detail of addresses.  The streets in which I am interested include Northumberland, Craven and Royal Kent Streets and Long and Elbow Lanes.  I am aware that Elbow Lane has disappeared into a building in more recent years.  I also think there was some fluidity of names at one stage, especially in relation to Elbow lane.

If maps include Frog Island, that could also be useful to me.

I have looked at A History of the County of Leicester: Volume 4, the City of Leicester, published by Victoria County History, in 1958, but at least on-line the street names on the relevant map are unreadable.

(I have also not had luck in finding old photos in the area, but that is of secondary importance.)

If anyone can point me in the direction of on-line maps during the period, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance,

transparu
(Australia)

Yates (Tamworth, Staffs), Yates (Leicester), Probert (London, Westminster, Bath), Argles, Robinson (London, Westminster), Jessop (Westmeath)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Map(s) of part of Leicester
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 August 15 09:21 BST (UK) »
 This map centres on Elbow Lane. Load the 1:500 map to see the name, although only limited enlargement is permitted.
 You can see it better by increasing the screen zoom. If using Google Chrome, you can do this by clicking on the three horizontal bars at the top right-hand corner and increasing the zoom to 200-250%. Zoom back down when finished.

www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/458352/304914

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 August 15 09:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much folks.

These are very useful additions to what I have. The location of Elbow lane is especially useful - and convinces me that over about 70 years my family moved house 4 times - by about perhaps 20-30 metres.  When I visited the Records Office in Leicester in 1980 and accessed Parish Records I lost the family after a while. When I found them again I saw that in moving across the road they had changed parishes! At least the records were there!

I appreciate the zooming info - a long-time Chrome user.

Still looking for maps in the early 1800's but you have given me most useful clues I've had to date.

Thanks again.
Yates (Tamworth, Staffs), Yates (Leicester), Probert (London, Westminster, Bath), Argles, Robinson (London, Westminster), Jessop (Westmeath)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 August 15 10:34 BST (UK) »
I just realised that I have a map showing Elbow Lane in 1828 but in a different place. It looks as though the name was transferred to an adjoining street when the new houses were built.

Too big to add here but, if you send me a PM with your email address, I can send a copy.

Regards,
David