Author Topic: Dunk and Nightingale family from Hawkhurst  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Dunk and Nightingale family from Hawkhurst
« on: Monday 03 August 15 12:33 BST (UK) »
My several times great grandfather was Robert Dunk .Ancestry records revealed his will in 1765 and his clandestine marriage to a Margaret Powell in London in 1748. In his will he names four children of his first marriage William Ann Jane Marchant and Elizabeth.Elizabeth is my direct line and married a John Nightingale in 1770.I know I have the right family as her sister Jane Marchant and husband John were witnesses.The second marriage to Margaret Powell States they were both from Hawkhurst.They also had many children mentioned in will and to be looked after by Ann.I found the births for his four older children in St Saviour Southwark and the mother was named as Elizabeth.All the children in his second marriage were born in Hawkhurst.
He was a carrier but I'm not sure where he was born ....some say Etchingham .Im looking for a first marriage to Elizabeth which I think must have been in London.
Hopefully some Dunk researchers trees on Ancestry can be corrected as they all say he married in Hawkhurst and I'm pretty sure his first marriage is wrong in them too.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Dunk and Nightingale family from Hawkhurst
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ringrose

There's this one in the England Marriages : -

07/07/1741 in Etchingham Robert Dunk to Mary Huntley
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 08:58 BST (UK) »
There's this one in Sussex but quite a bit earlier: -

10/08/1727 Robert Dunk to Elizabeth Walker.

When was Robert born?
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 09:39 BST (UK) »
The first four children named were born between 1728 and. 1732. ...all in Southwark.One named in his will to be guardian to his younger children in his second marriage.
Mary Huntley is wrong as Elizabeth is down as mother but the other Elizabeth I had found and wondered about but cannot be sure.
Thanks for your interest
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)