Author Topic: Thomas Nealands (Nealings) born c 1756 prob Newcastle upon Tyne  (Read 3380 times)

Offline CarolynWinterburn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thomas Nealands (Nealings) born c 1756 prob Newcastle upon Tyne
« on: Monday 03 August 15 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm Searching for the birth of Thomas Nealands, or Nealings, born around 1756, to find his parents. I know that he married Elizabeth Cook 1776 in St Andrews Newcastle upon Tyne and have a definite birth of a son Matthew born 1775 All Saints N upon T. There are also 2 records in All Saints for deaths of 2 sons one, Thomas, in 1777 and the other, Edward, in 1778.
Family search has Bishops transcripts but do not go down early enough. I cannot find any resources for this date.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Carolyn
Flint Norfolk, Ward Suffolk, Stanton Norfolk, Hunter Norfolk, Winterburn Middlesex, Bowles Norfolk, Boote Staffs, Bossons Cheshire.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Nealands (Nealings) born c 1756 prob Newcastle upon Tyne
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 August 15 23:18 BST (UK) »
I think, at this time, there were only the four original parishes operating in Newcastle and, because of that, the number of records is great.

I could check the original records at Northumberland archives but would not be able to guarantee that I could look at all of them at one go.  Which parish would you consider most likely?

Christine

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 05:30 BST (UK) »
Likely Daughter;
George HUNTER Bapt 23 Sept 1798, All Saints, Newcastle Upon, Tyne
Parents WILLIAM/MARY Hunter nee NEALANDS
Fathers Occp Waterman
2nd son. Mother is daughter of THOMAS Nealands, Waterman of this chapelry
(FreeREG)

William/Mary married 25 Dec 1794 same Church (FreeREG)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine,
Thank you I would think that All Saints was the most likely as they lived there after they married and his children were born there.
Trish yes I think it is most probably his daughter as the name Nealands wasn't very common. I had disregarded it as it was 5 years before he married Elizabeth Cook but now I am thinking that he was married before and she was from his first wife. If so he was born earlier than I thought. From FREEREG I have found another probable daughter Ann.
Thank you both.
Carolyn
Flint Norfolk, Ward Suffolk, Stanton Norfolk, Hunter Norfolk, Winterburn Middlesex, Bowles Norfolk, Boote Staffs, Bossons Cheshire.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 August 15 00:25 BST (UK) »
I tackled All Saints today – it’s the biggest parish of the four with about 30 baptisms each month.  The writing was faded almost to invisibility in some places so I resorted to using a transcript which was much quicker.  If I had found a record I would have then checked it with the original but alas there was no Nealands or variation between 1740 and 1756.

I also had time to do the same exercise with St. Andrew’s – much easier as there were less than 10 baptisms a month there.  Still no Nealands I’m afraid.  If nothing crops up to answer your query in the meantime I will look at St. John and St. Nicholas next week.

Christine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 August 15 07:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine,
You are so kind to do this for me. It is much appreciated.
For such an uncommon name this family is very elusive.
Regards
Carolyn

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 August 15 10:31 BST (UK) »
There are a few adverts in the Newcastle Courant in the 1780s re the sale of property in Sandgate, Newcastle, on the south side of Fore (sic) Street now in the tenures or occupations of Alexander Adams, Wool Comber, Thomas Nealands, Keelman & others.

Given the occupation and location, my first instinct would lead me to non-conformist registers in the general area, including RC records as Nealands could potentially be either an English or an Irish name. Some sources seem to think it came from Protestant settlers in Ireland. Unfortunately there are gaps in most of the non-con records and not all survive from the 1750s or earlier. You  could look for burials in the Ballast Hills Burial Ground if no luck with the C of E churchyards - it was busy and cheap.

Otherwise I would be inclined to look at St Ann's (a chapelry of All Saints at the time and I don't think that it had separate registers in the 18th century but I may be wrong), All Saints itself (however Christine has already drawn a blank there) and then St Nicholas, and maybe across the river in St Mary's, Gateshead. However all these C of E parishes should have at least their baptisms and marriages indexed on www.familysearch.org, so I think it might be worth having a look at the non-con registers such as they are, even if later generations were C of E.

Good luck.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 August 15 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi SelDen,

As Thomas' son Matthew, who was also a keelman, had 2 daughters born in Sandgate, which I found in Durham Records Online, This is surely my Thomas.
I will have a look at the Non Con registers.
Thanks for the information.
Carolyn

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 August 15 18:39 BST (UK) »
I should have added that the LDS run family history centres and their film catalogue (available on www.familysearch.org) are of great assistance to those of us who live at some distance as they are open to the public for a few hours each week. There will be a centre near you (check family search) and ordering films to view is straightforward, inexpensive and addictive, partly because you get so much from each film.