Author Topic: Smith or Smyth  (Read 2707 times)

Offline KevinDe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Smith or Smyth
« on: Monday 03 August 15 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to find out more about my Smith/Smyth ancestors.  My great-grandmother was Mary Ellen Smith (some of her siblings spelled it Smyth).  I found her and her siblings birth records when in I was last in Dublin, but couldn't go beyond the simple register entries.  She was born in Derrycrossin (I was told she was born in Scotstown) on May 31, 1871.  Her father was Patrick born 1844, mother was Anne Kelly born 1849.  They were married on August 25, 1869 but that is all the information I have for them and nothing before them.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Smith or Smyth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 06:05 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Welcome to RootsChat.  I am sure someone with good knowledge of Irish family history searchings will be along shortly to help you further.

Do you know which religious denomination for Patrick and Anne as this can help too...

Cheers,  JM (from New South Wales, Australia).
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 09:04 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. If you click on 'report to moderator' you can ask for this topic to be moved to the Monaghan board where it belongs.

Here's the extracted birth for Mary (1871) - Scotstown is likely the registration sub-district
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F5K5-VR4

Marriage certificate should list names and occupations of both fathers as well as residences of bride and groom at the time. There will also be 2 witnesses listed who may be related.

If the family were Catholic then you can search the Parish Registers which were just put online a few weeks ago-
http://registers.nli.ie/#home_map
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KevinDe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 15:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the comments, did ask to move the board.  I did find the parish, Tydavnet, which is a big help.  I'm not sure about the Catholic or Protestant faith, assumed it was Catholic, which I understand makes things much more difficult going back in time since I was told registering Catholic births, deaths, marriages, etc. were forbidden up to a certain time. 

Offline KevinDe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 15:32 BST (UK) »
Also, I did find an index record for Patrick and Anne's marriage in the Ireland Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845 - 1958, volume 13, page 239, FHL film number 101251, but other than names, nothing else was detailed.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 15:51 BST (UK) »
It's not that Catholic registration was forbidden. Civil registration of all births and deaths started in 1864. Registration of non-Catholic marriages started 1845 and Catholic marriages from 1864.

The civil registration index is just an index which gives you the details needed to order a certificate.

If the family were Catholic (remember that civil parishes are different than Catholic parishes) then you can check the church records online. There is an 1871 baptism here with parents Patr Smith & Anna Kelly-
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632896#page/93/mode/1up
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 23:12 BST (UK) »
Moderator comment: Topic moved to Monaghan Board
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KevinDe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 August 15 15:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification!