Author Topic: Richard James Roberts  (Read 3212 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Richard James Roberts
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 20:24 BST (UK) »
Probably a red herring, but will post anyhow given there seems to be so many possibilities and uncertanties in general with the initial query, that it is best not to rule out anything remotely possible until it can be further checked. So, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Smithfield/Bosnia_Street/952757/

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline doonayr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
Her name was Agnes Roberts   Her mother's maiden name was Cavanagh.   Thanks anyway.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 21:20 BST (UK) »
There's no marriage in Scotland of an Agnes Roberts to a Mr McCafferty, even using Soundex. And no death of an Agnes McCafferty or Roberts. I think Agnes must also have married and died in Ireland, or possibly even in England.

It really looks as if you are on a wild goose chase in Scotland. Definitely go for the Irish records.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline doonayr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 22:08 BST (UK) »
It was Ann Roberts who married Andrew McCafferty 1903. in St Andrew's  Parish, Dundee.   I have the marriage record.   Agnes was her half sister. Ann was illegitimate, born Cavanagh and took Richard Roberts name when her mother married him.   When and if they married I don't have a record for.   I am assuming they did as they were RC and continued in that faith.   It is interesting that a Bridget Roberts is one of the witnesses on Ann's marriage cert.  It is all very confusing and I am probably not explaining too well.   Agnes according to her daughter was born in Dundee, again I can't find a cert. for this either but she states so on the American naturalization papers.

Offline doonayr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 22:16 BST (UK) »
Richard Roberts had to have died before 1892 according to William Peter's marriage cert.   I cannot find evidence of Ann Roberts his wife with Agnes his daughter to her on any Dundee census. Nor can I find a birth cert. for Agnes although her daughter told me that she had been born in Dundee.   Very confusing family.