Author Topic: Search for Agnes Jones, George McNaught & son Robert, Carnarvon 1851-1861  (Read 3664 times)

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
I am searching for Agnes Jones (born 1821 in Llanbeblig to Robert Jones & Catherine Owen) and her husband, George McNaught (born c 1817 in Scotland).  Present for the 1851 Llanbeblig census in Skinner Street, Carnarvon were George McNaught, 34, Inspector of Police, his wife Agnes 30 and their 4 children, Mary Catherine (6), George (4), David Griffith (2) & Robert (7 months).
According to the Carnarvon Traders (http://www.carnarvontraders.com/contents.html) George was the Police Superintendent, living in High Street, Carnarvon in 1844 & Inspector of Police living in Church Street in 1846. 
However, I can find no further evidence of George McNaught, his wife Agnes Jones or their son Robert in the 1861 census.  I found the following children living elsewhere in the 1861 census;
•   Mary Catherine identified as a visitor at the North Wales Training College at 11 Church Street, Llanbeblig
•   George & David identified living with their aunt & uncle in King Street, Castle Douglas, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland & working as Apprentice Painters.
Can anyone help me to identify these missing ancestors?
Best regards
Hendo
Henderson, Cunningham, McNaught, Chartres, Lilburne, Porteous, Higham, Saw

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Search for Agnes Jones, George McNaught & son Robert, Carnarvon 1851-1861
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 09:55 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for deaths for George and Agnes? The other possibility is that George died and Agnes remarried. I haven't been able to find a marriage for her in the period 1851-1861 however. The fact that the children are residing with relatives and staying elsewhere, suggests to me their parents had died.

Jo.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 10:56 BST (UK) »
Have you found little Robert later on (if not in 1861)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Keith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 10:58 BST (UK) »
George is named in two separate reports in the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald - in January 1850 and June 1852 - in these he is described as a 'police-constable' or 'police-officer.'

In late September 1853 he was appointed Inspector of Nuisances to the Carnarvon Union (CDH 1st October), a post which ended in December 1853 (CDH 17th December).

This is the last reference I can find to George McNaught being in Caernarfon.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 11:33 BST (UK) »
Anges McNaught, widow, daughter of Robert Jones (same as previous marriage), married Edward John Gardiner at Llansanfraid Cwmteuddwr, on 13th December 1863.

One tree says that George died in Scotland in 1859. It also says that Agnes died in 1887 but, as yet, I can't find her after the second marriage.

David Griffith McNaught, painter, of Llandudno married catherine Owen on 20th March 1873. Father - George McNaught ??man

David of Caban Coch buried on 5th Sept 1896 in Llanllechid.

Agnes MacNaught of Bangor, dau of David (deceased) married Ernest George Montague Smith, railway fireman, on 24th November 1905.

David

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 03:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your input & suggestions.  I really appreciate them.

Firstly, I have relentlessly searched for death registrations for George, Agnes & son Robert in Caernarvonshire & further afield (including Scotland) & have found nothing.  I also searched for them on the 1861 & subsequent census records (on Ancestry).  Unfortunately, I have had no luck in either category.   

The references to George in the Carnarvon & Denbigh Herald dated January 1850 and June 1852 I haven’t seen.  They are amazing.  However, I have copies of excerpts from the North Wales Chronicle relating to swearing as a police constable & minutes of the Board of Guardians fortnightly meeting where his service as Inspector Of Nuisances was discussed (Apr 1843 & Dec 1853 respectively).

The reference to “Anges McNaught, widow, daughter of Robert Jones (same as previous marriage), married Edward John Gardiner at Llansanfraid Cwmteuddwr, on 13th December 1863” is amazing.  I have plenty of further searching to do.  Thankyou!

The reference to David McNaught, George & Agnes’ son is as I have found and reinforces their connection.  The subsequent points re the Llanllechid & Bangor McNaughts support what I have already found.  Thanks again for your data.  I will continue searching.

Best regards
Hendo

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 09:36 BST (UK) »
In my previous message, I said that George died in Scotland, but the tree doesn't give a place.

However, it gives the date as 11th April 1859.

If you have access to Ancestry, the link is:-http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/26939864/person/26036860767?ssrc=

It might be worth contacting the owner of the tree to find out how he knows the date and also that of Agnes in 1887, which is given as Carnarvon. However, it doesn't show in the records.

The tree also has an image of the burial record for George's mother.

David

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi David
The tree belongs to SLRSJ & I have recently contacted her for that very purpose.  She thought that she had sourced the date from another tree but was going to get back to me if she found any documentary evidence.  I have recently searched ScotlandsPeople for George McNaught's death on 11 Apr 1859 in Kirkcudbrightshire but found nothing.  It also appears that George was appointed as the Inspector of Nuisances for Carnarvon as there was a Cholera epidemic and his special skills as a senior policeman were needed in dealing with enforcement of the numerous health issues.
Thanks again for your help.  Really appreciate it.
Cheers
Rob

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 August 15 13:04 BST (UK) »
Re George McNaught's death in Castle Douglas, I have changed the search parameters on ScotlandPeople & found the OPR Death dated 11 Apr 1859 in Castle Douglas.  His death is also recorded in the MIs for Kelton Kirkyard.   Accepting that the marriage of Agnes McNaught (widow) to Edward John Gardiner at Llansanfraid Cwmteuddwr, Radnorshire on 13th December 1863 is the same Agnes Jones, baptised at Llanbeblig, Caernarvonshire in 1821, my next challenge is to locate Agnes in the 1861 census.  I assume that Agnes accompanied husband George to his home town of Castle Douglas where he died from Pthisis Pulmonalis (TB).  However, she wasn't present for the 1861 Kelton census.  I have searched for Agnes using Llansanfraid Cwmteuddwr, Radnorshire as her place of residence without success.  Can you suggest where else I might look?
Best regards
Hendo