Author Topic: Where Am I? No. 12a - Part Two of "Cazza's House"  (Read 48417 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where Am I? No. 12a - Part Two of "Cazza's House"
« Reply #261 on: Friday 21 October 16 18:06 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Gulp!

Hope that Gulp was with a large scotch,  you will need it.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: Friday 21 October 16 18:22 BST (UK) »
Janan

Was it the Clifton Brown family photographs you were thinking of? If so that was in Bucks (Burnham).

Regards

Trish
Carroll - Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork
Hooley - Tattenhall, Cheshire
Lloyd - Gresford, Denbighshire
Platt - Wrexham, Denbighshire
Sullivan- Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: Friday 21 October 16 19:21 BST (UK) »
That's it, thanks Trish  :D
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: Friday 21 October 16 19:28 BST (UK) »
No problem Janan...this one has driven me insane since Cazza first posted it! I do hope somebody finds it before it completely tips me over the edge!
Carroll - Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork
Hooley - Tattenhall, Cheshire
Lloyd - Gresford, Denbighshire
Platt - Wrexham, Denbighshire
Sullivan- Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: Saturday 22 October 16 16:43 BST (UK) »
2 observations, 1, there are park style benches which indicates (to me anyway) not a private residence. 2, all of the upstairs windows are open. May be just coincidence but looks like a convalescence home for TB sufferers.

Good to have some fresh ideas on this, and I wonder if you might be on to something here. Whatever the house may have been before or afterwards, the blinds (which I think someone mentioned recently) and the open windows could well suggest some kind of sanatorium etc. Or maybe a military hospital, if it's a wartime photo? Or a children's home/school?

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: Saturday 22 October 16 17:34 BST (UK) »
It may have  been a sporting estate?  Shooting and fishing and Fox hunting perhaps?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: Saturday 22 October 16 19:58 BST (UK) »
2 observations, 1, there are park style benches which indicates (to me anyway) not a private residence. 2, all of the upstairs windows are open. May be just coincidence but looks like a convalescence home for TB sufferers.

Good to have some fresh ideas on this, and I wonder if you might be on to something here. Whatever the house may have been before or afterwards, the blinds (which I think someone mentioned recently) and the open windows could well suggest some kind of sanatorium etc. Or maybe a military hospital, if it's a wartime photo? Or a children's home/school?

Arthur
  The blinds could indicate that the owner was a wealthy textile manufacturer from Manchester and could  afford to buy the most modern and stylish furnishings.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: Saturday 22 October 16 21:17 BST (UK) »

Arthur
  The blinds could indicate that the owner was a wealthy textile manufacturer from Manchester and could  afford to buy the most modern and stylish furnishings.

Which part of Manchester?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: Sunday 23 October 16 02:22 BST (UK) »
SB, I didn't realise it was only wealthy textile manufacturers from Manchester who could afford to buy the most modern and stylish furnishings. Unfortunately I doubt that speculating about the blinds will get you any closer to determining the location of this house.

Open windows may suggest it was a nice day and the house was being given a good airing. I have noticed in a lot of Caz's photos that the many of the windows have been open, so maybe it was a Victorian/Edwardian "thing".  :)

I'm not sure if the benches would have been used in private gardens as well as public. A quick look at google isn't helping me much.