Author Topic: 1860 records in skull  (Read 1475 times)

Offline jakko

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1860 records in skull
« on: Tuesday 04 August 15 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hope someone can help with this. Great granddad retired from 84th Foot in 1860 and married Eliza Moore in Skull. Her father, Hastings Moore, lived in Ballydehob. He had some sort of business there. I think it was him listed in Griffiths as renting or leasing 2 properties from Swanton but he doesn't appear in the 1864 Guy's. I would like to find out what he did.
Gt. granddad settled on Cape Clear and had at least 6 offspring. I would like to know what he did for a living - apart from fathering Jacksons. He is listed as being in Glen but I don't know which one.
Any ideas greatly welcomed.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1860 records in skull
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 17:04 BST (UK) »
In 1901 he is listed in Douglas in Cork with his wife and one daughter - LINK
He states that he is an army pensioner which leads me to believe that he did not undertake another formal occupation

What occupation is shown on the birth certificates of his children in the 1860s and 1870s?

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
In 1901 he has 2 Shed's and his daughter is a wool weaver
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000562385/
In  1911 his daughter Sarah ? is a wool weaver
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Douglas/Douglas__Douglas_Town_/403888/
and has one shed
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001902513/

so may be something to do with weaving.

Offline jakko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 20:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks My Luck and Dathai. Yes , that's him OK - Richard Howard, ex Colour Sergeant, 6
 or more children, died in 1906. I am, however, trying to find out what he did during the years he was on Cape Clear. One problem is that you can put almost any old stuff on birth and marriage certificates - no check is made. He called himself a shopkeeper at his son's birth. Shopkeeper? On Cape Clear? Not long after the famine? Oh yes. Later, he called himself a gardener, then a labourer. All very confusing. When he went to Douglas he was near no3 son's family, all of whom worked on the Castletreasure wool mills, hence, probably, Sarah's job.
Hastings Moore is quite interesting. He seemed to be fairly well-to-do (by Ballydehob standards in 1860) but I've no clue what he was up to. His children all seemed to do quite well, some of them going off to Canada in the early 1900's 

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hastings S Moore has the houses in Ballydehob but is the Hastings Moore renting just land in Knockroe townland just out side the town the same person?
Likely it is and he was (also) farming.