Author Topic: Oram families  (Read 4172 times)

Offline magnacarta

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Oram families
« on: Tuesday 04 August 15 11:51 BST (UK) »
In St Mary the Virgin church, in Clopton Suffolk,  is an old family bible containing details of the Oram family with connections to Wiltshire. The churchwarden is hopeful that a family member may claim it.

Offline Bherbe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Oram families
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 15 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I am related to some Orams from Wiltshire so have messaged one of them to ask whether any of this info might mean something. Unfortunately I don't know if their Orams go any further back in Wiltshire than the current generation! Thanks for posting...
Herbert, Rose, Petvin, Viner, Thomsett, Ladd, Morrott, Rickards

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Oram families
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 15 19:13 BST (UK) »
A few names to chuck into the mix:

ORAM FAMILY BIBLE

Churchwarden of St Mary the Virgin, Clopton, Suffolk, emailed WFHS Secretary about a bible with entries for the name of ORAM. She said that the old family bible is held in the Church.

A printed nameplate inside the front cover gives the names of Philip and Mary Oram 1810. Inside are names of four family members.

Elizabeth Oram born 15 June 1831
Mary Oram born 4 June 1833
Samuel Oram born 11 Sept 1834
William Treasure Oram born 18 July 1837

==================
One or two quick notes from me:

1830   Marriage on FreeREG of Eliza Treasure & Philip Oram at St John the Baptist, Frome, Somerset. 5 Aug 1830.  William is "of this parish"; Eliza Treasure is from Marston Bigot.  Witnesses Benjamin Treasure and H Cruse.  Source: Bishops Transcript. No fathers' names.
Also transcript of Parish Registers which says marriage was by license, but still no parents' names.

1837   FreeBMD shows a William Treasure Oram, registered in Frome, Somerset, in 3rd qtr 1837. 
1840   FS looks like William Treasure Oram died https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2N6K-14S

I found a whole Oram family tree website: http://oramtree.sumgen.com/toc1.html - that doesn't include this particular family.

I think you'd need to be connected to take the time to work this one through; quite a lot of these family names in the area.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.