Author Topic: private j parkins north staffordshire reg, k.i.a 1916 previous army nr please  (Read 1146 times)

Offline gw0mow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help needed  please    my grans sister , was married to private john parkins,  nr 7542 north staffs regiment, he was killed  in france 26 nov 1916 he was with the bef   and a local south wales newspaper  said he was a reservist at outbreak of the war  and had seen service in india and Africa, I have tried to find his earlier army records   but no success,     census 1911  he was living with wife and child in  nelson Glamorgan    it says born abt 1885 Oldham lancs    at present I have not been able to spot him on the 1891 and 1901 census    poss in army overseas 1901 ?   any help and advice appreciated  john
harris

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: private j parkins north staffordshire reg, k.i.a 1916 previous army nr please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 11:12 BST (UK) »
His service number suggests he joined the 1st Bn as a regular soldier in 1904/05 (credit Army Service Numbers blogspot).  His medal card has no other number on it which it usually has if there was another one.  The 1st Bn was in India but returned to UK in 1903..
His sole legatee was one George Jenkins (presumably related to wife Eliza nee Jenkins?). Haven't been able to find any other records.
1901 has a Jno F Parkins born 1885 place of birth Saddleworth which Wiki tells me is a parish of Oldham.

Hope this helps?

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: private j parkins north staffordshire reg, k.i.a 1916 previous army nr please
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi John

The 1st and 2nd Battalions were Regulars and shared the same numbering system. Regulars enlisted for 12 years. After initial training at the Depot in Lichfield recruits would be transferred to either the 1st or 2nd Battalion.  He would have served seven years in uniform followed by the balance in the Army Reserve. Reservists were recalled at the start of WW1 and were transferred to which ever battalion was serving at Home at the time. This was the 1st, but it does not mean he served with the 1st Bn in his first spell. In fact the 2nd Bn were in India from 1903 to 1914. Neither battalion served in Africa.

This could be him -
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=1911wales&gss=angs-d&new=1&rank=1&msT=1&gsfn=john&gsfn_x=1&gsln=parkins&gsln_x=1&MSAV=1&uidh=e13&pcat=1911UKI&fh=1&h=524274&recoff=&ml_rpos=2&hovR=1 – you will need a subscription. Against this is the fact it seems he did not have his wife as a beneficiary.

Reservists did not normally record the fact on census, BMDs etc as they only served two weeks a year in exchange for half-pay.

Ken

Offline gw0mow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 18:47 BST (UK) »
to max D and km 1971  dear max and ken  thanks both for your help, 
harris

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 19:38 BST (UK) »
I miss-read it. I see you already have him in 1911.

Ken

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 20:13 BST (UK) »
You are very welcome - should have spotted the later John F !!

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline gw0mow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
private john parkins completed
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 August 15 15:55 BST (UK) »
help needed  please     private john parkins,  nr 7542 north staffs regiment,  was killed  in france 26 nov 1916 he was with the bef    a local south wales newspaper  said he was a reservist at outbreak of the war  and had seen service in india and Africa, I have tried to find his earlier army records   but no success,     census 1911  he was living with wife and child in   Glamorgan    it says born abt 1885 Oldham lancs    at present I have not been able to spot him on the 1891 and 1901 census    poss in army overseas 1901 ?   any help and advice appreciated  john
    completed  thank you 
harris