Author Topic: Electroral Registers for Longstone around 1909?  (Read 1384 times)

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Electroral Registers for Longstone around 1909?
« on: Wednesday 05 August 15 14:50 BST (UK) »
My Great Aunt Hannah, from Huddersfield, married Thomas White in the Parish Church at Longstone on 24 June 1909. Thomas was aged 33, a bachelor, working as a Nurse, the son of James White and gave his residence as Great Longstone.

In the 1911 census Hannah was listed at her mother's residence in Huddersfield but Thomas wasn't with her.  I haven't been able to find him anywhere on the 1911 census, so I have no idea where he was born.

I know that Thomas did live in Huddersfield, and died there in 1923.  I know where he was living and where he is buried.

My mother says that Thomas worked as a live-in nurse so in 1911 it's possible he was living with an employer but I haven't been able to find him either in Huddersfield or Great Longstone.

I wondered whether the electoral register for Great Longstone around 1909-1911 may show where Thomas was living when he married and whether anybody is able to tell me where I could view the registers, or if anybody would be kind enough to look them up for me?  I have no idea how large a place Great Longstone is or how big a job it would be to look for Thomas in the registers, so I apologise if I'm asking too much!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
Sandra

Offline traveller005

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Electroral Registers for Longstone around 1909?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 August 15 22:07 BST (UK) »
Longstone may come under Bakewell. The county office is in Matlock

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 21:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Traveller005

I guess the electoral registers would be held in Matlock then?

Sandra

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 22:24 BST (UK) »
Longstone (both Great & Little) are only small places --a church, a pub, a handfull of farms / cottages -- so if they are listed separately on the electoral roll, should only take minutes to chech them.
Might be more difficult if they are included in the Bakewell rolls tho -- that is a much bigger, busier market town.

Derbyshire Record Office is in Matlock - they should have copies of the rolls
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all