Author Topic: Death record Louisiana 1936  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death record Louisiana 1936
« on: Thursday 06 August 15 00:50 BST (UK) »
From a newspaper announcement I know that Bridget Houlihan (nee Delaney) originally from Tipperary in Ireland,  died at the age of 76 in  January 1936, New Orleans. That's verified in the online index search for Louisiana death records.

What I would like to know, if anyone is able to tell me, is what sort of information is likely to be on the death record. Would it contain the names of her parents (if known by whoever registered the death) ?

I am straw clutching, I know her father's name was Thomas but haven't been able to find her mother's name - well, I have a candidate or two, but need something to cross reference it against to be more sure.

If the record 'might' contain this sort of info, then I'll start to make enquiries about how I go about getting a copy of it from the UK.

Thanks

Boo

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Death record Louisiana 1936
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 August 15 01:07 BST (UK) »
Here are images of some Louisiana death certificates:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ful/
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 August 15 08:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the help Erato, much appreciated.
Lots to look at there, I'll have a browse through later today.

Boo

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 August 15 20:28 BST (UK) »
I was trying to see if I could find out anything for you and have not as yet.

Using exact spelling, it appears that Delaney and Houlihan may not have married in "Orleans Parish" after 1869:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fur/

Would you like us to have a look around in the states for "this" Bridget" or are you trying to trace your Bridget back to Ireland?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 August 15 23:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Lisa, kind of you to look for me.

I do know quite a bit about Bridget and her family. Bridget and her husband, Andrew, married in Tipperary on 5th Apr 1883. They and their four children emigrated to the US in 1894 and a fifth and final child was born in New Orleans in 1896. I have been able to track them all through census records, marriage indexes and newspaper reports. I only found out about them when I researched one of Bridget's nieces who had emigrated in 1906 and the passenger list said she was going to join her Aunt, Bridget Houlihan and gave an address in New Orleans.

Bridget was my husband's 2x Great Aunt. Though I know from her marriage record, and that of her sister,  that their father was Thomas Delaney I haven't yet been able to find a definite record of who their mother was. Delaney isn't an uncommon surname in Ireland and there are more Bridgets and Catherines than you could shake several sticks at! Lots of opportunities to pick the wrong one.
So though I have found 'possible' births and mothers, I really would like something to cross reference them to -  before I go haring off researching the wrong woman's family :-)

Which prompted my original question. Though in England we didn't record that info on death certs, I knew from later US death certs that, if the information was available it 'may' be recorded on a  death certificate but wasn't sure if that varied from state to state.

I'll contact the Louisiana Govt department which holds the records and enquire how to go about ordering one from the UK. They don't seem to do any sort of online order or payment system from what I can see.

Thanks again for your interest.

Boo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 August 15 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo:

I wanted to write before you go offline, so I've not read the instructions, but you may be able to order a certificate from here:
http://www.sos.la.gov/HistoricalResources/ResearchHistoricalRecords/LocateHistoricalRecords/Pages/LouisianaDeathRecords.aspx
Apologies if I am steering you in the wrong direction.

(I just tried to open the link and it is not working for me.  Perhaps this one will work if you have trouble as well)
http://www.sos.la.gov/HistoricalResources/ResearchHistoricalRecords/Pages/OnlinePublicVitalRecordsIndex.aspx
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 August 15 00:18 BST (UK) »
You most likely already had the link.  I also have not yet seen an online payment option, but I'm still looking around.   ;)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 August 15 00:20 BST (UK) »
I don't suppose Bridget and her sister carried on the Irish naming traditions (which might possibly indicate their mother's name)?

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 August 15 17:25 BST (UK) »
Well, they both had children called Mary - but so did the majority of Irish Catholics :-)
Naming patterns 'can' be useful but only when more unusual names are used. Mary is too commonplace to be of much use to me.

Not had time to enquire yet but we are hoping to be in Louisiana early next year so, as they don't have any online facility I may leave it till then. With a bit of luck they may even make a decision to move into the same century as the rest of the world before then and introduce an online payment facility :-)

Thanks for your help and interest.

Boo