Author Topic: Anyone gone onto the 'new' Ancestry.com?  (Read 26646 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone gone onto the 'new' Ancestry.com?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 07 August 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Frank, I thought that's what you had to do, but I didn't count on the option to go back to Old Ancestry was at the bottom of the list, so I didn't see it.  ::)  I've clicked on Old Ancestry and got a "Sorry to see you go" box with reasons for leaving.  I just said I needed more info.  Guess what a page entitled "New Ancestry features are waiting for you" popped up.  I just logged out and when I logged back in I'd got the "old" Ancestry back.

groom - as I don't have a tree on Ancestry, what other benefits are there to make me change?

Lizzie

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 07 August 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
groom - as I don't have a tree on Ancestry, what other benefits are there to make me change?

None that I can see! I don't think it makes any difference to searches, although I haven't actually tried that bit yet.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 07 August 15 21:15 BST (UK) »
OK, thanks.  I'll wait a bit longer before I change over - no doubt everyone will have to change eventually.

Lizzie

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 07 August 15 21:17 BST (UK) »

He was illegitimate, but it seems the timeline cant cope with that!

Obviously not - My great grandma and her sister were born several years before her parents were married but Ancestry says of the parents: "They had two children during their marriage."
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 07 August 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
Uhm!!!

Why I am wondering did they do this. ...

1.  I do appreciate the 'clarity' of the New Text with these old eyes. :)
2.  But NOT the high colouring of the Tree pages....
3.  The basic Ancestry Home page is the same - but they (as others have said) have messed about with
      the Countries.. Whereas previously, if I asked for UK ... I Got UK as 1st choice... now.. NO... all over the place with countries. 

And finally what is all this Life Story ... business...
 in my mind it is an attempt to grab peoples attention.   Oh look 'meat on the bones' without hard work?!?!?!?
BUT I WANT FACTS -- not maybes... that someone has decided happened.  OK so we do know the basics of things that happened in our country at what time,etc  so that is OK..
But then to add as FACT that
Fred married twice, just cos someone typed it accidentally twice... NO .way..

Its a good idea - and I can see the VALUE -
But the old saying is ... if a jobs worth doing... DO IT RIGHT  .... there are no where near enough people to sort the bloomin MESS out that is in so many TREES on Ancestry for them to make this idea work, if they are going to be putting ... so called 'FACTS' on the Lifestory' page that THEY Ancestry have 'pulled' from these here trees, that we know are bloomin wrong ... Well lots of them have errors - lets say. 

I could go on .. and on..
LIKE I SAY its a great idea and if only it worked, but it wont cos its too messed up already,
WIPE CLEAN and start again... dont mess with whats already messed up...

I did try not to moan... but flipped back to the old Ancestry and will carry on till they ask for a .n. other years loads of dosh to enable them to mess the site up again

Xin

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 07 August 15 23:15 BST (UK) »
if they are going to be putting ... so called 'FACTS' on the Lifestory' page that THEY Ancestry have 'pulled' from these here trees, that we know are bloomin wrong ... Well lots of them have errors - lets say. 

Have they actually done that? From what I can see of the people I've looked at, the facts have come from what I added to my original tree eg addresses, occupations etc. I did notice some added general fact like "During his lifetime Australia and England met in a cricket match." and a picture. I just clicked on ignore and it vanished. The only thing that is wrong are some of the POB and deaths especially when I hadn't specified England.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 08 August 15 00:08 BST (UK) »
Well :)  My tree is not public and I havent checked it all out yet.. cos its a lot to read.. :) 
But I glanced at one that I share and ...

this 'cousin' of mine had stated that the person married in 1922 and then the final entry for that person said Married 1922.  So the Lifestory page said they had married twice!!!  I will check it out again tomorrow, but a first day looking and checking and my head has blown.. ( I know it doesnt take much these days) 
:)

it will take a few days to actually fathom out what is happening..

xin

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 08 August 15 00:50 BST (UK) »
I presume that is because it was actual entered by your "cousin" as a fact, even though it was done by mistake. All that Ancestry has done is copied over what is there - it's not clever enough to recognise it was wrong. I don't think we can expect Ancestry to start correcting mistakes like that, that is up to the owner of the tree.

Offline Anneatki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 08 August 15 01:36 BST (UK) »
Well, like Xinia, I'm having a paddle  ;D I quite like the timeline, though it gets a bit confusing if I haven't put in a death date (cos I don't know it) before the next child named John is born. Or I know that someone has died "before 1855", the timeline says they died "in 1855".
The Lifestory has one good feature - it brings up my downloaded Scottish BMD copies. The historical "generalised" facts, probably help my education, & at least I can "ignore" them & they go away!
I obviously have to go through & add country names, my Granny was born in Dunbar, Scotland, not Dunbar, Pennsylvania!  ::)
I might go back to the "old" version, so I can give some feedback, but I think Ancestry is aiming at the people who want a "story" without putting in the hard work. I just want the facts - the Story is in the Hard Copy Books I have created for my family members, & given to them for Christmas!  :-*
Anne    :D
Aberdeenshire & The Borders, Morison/Morrison, Mitchell, Robertson, Ritchie, Youngson,Tait, Law, Pringle, Trotter