Author Topic: Missing Children of a Long Term Illegitimate Relationship- Tarporley, Cheshire  (Read 5156 times)

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I wondered if anyone can help me solve a problem please. My five times removed grandfather was Thomas White born 1837 in Rushton Tarporley to Abraham Lowe and Mary. He was listed as a Gentleman and died in 1803. From 1783 to 1803 he conducted a long term relationship with his servant Elizabeth Rowland born 1862 in Tarporley, Cheshire. They had six children together who were all baptised as the illegitimate children of Thomas White and Elizabeth Rowland and also took the White name and were provided for when he died in 1803 via a will. He virtually struck out his first legitimate son John out of the will leaving him the sum of £1.00(not much loved lost I think according to the tone of the will).
The Children were Mary White born 1783 of Utkinton, Ann White 1786 of Utkinton, Elizabeth White 1788 of Utkinton, Sarah White 1798 of Utkinton, Frances White 1803 of Utkinton and Abraham-1791 and who was my four times removed grandfather who is the only person I have ever traced through to his death in 1841 in Little Budworth.
The sisters of Abraham have completely eluded me and maybe someone could see something I cannot. I would be so grateful as I would love to know what happened to them or if anyone has any other ideas please.
Thank you.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Children of a Long Term Illegitimate Relationship- Tarporley, Cheshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 August 15 12:57 BST (UK) »
Were any of the sisters married by 1803 as in that will, though most are too young?

Have you found any possible marriages for any of the sisters (just for reference, where did Abraham marry?)

Thanks

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Children of a Long Term Illegitimate Relationship- Tarporley, Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 August 15 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
Abit confused by your dates.
Thomas White born 1837 died 1803?
lover Elizabeth Rowland born 1862 Tarporley?

But this of 1841 may be interesting
Utkinton ,Tarporley 1841
Thomas White 75 farmer y
Frances 40 y
Ann 45 y

Ciderdrinker

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 August 15 13:01 BST (UK) »
Have you done a census search for each of the sisters without specifying their surname, but just their year of birth and place, and see what appears on the 1851 census for starters?

e.g. Frances Shenton, born 1803, Utkinton, in 1851

Added:
Probably Frances Vernon, marriage in 1844, unless that was a second marriage for her.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 August 15 14:06 BST (UK) »
A Frances WHITE Married William BILLINGTON, 1848, Tarporley, Chester, England
Father THOMAS White
(Familysearch.Org)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 August 15 14:28 BST (UK) »
The 1848 marriage took place at Tarporley by Licence - and the Bond and Allegation information states that both parties were from Utkinton.  Frances is a spinster and William a widower and a Wheelwright.  Frances' father is Thomas, a Farmer - no indication that he is deceased.  Both are said to be of full age.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 August 15 14:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information. Ironically the Thomas who is a farmer in 1841 with the same childrens names as my line was born in 1864(to another Abraham White who was a Yeoman) and all the girls and boys names are the same and even extremely near in date. He is my 3 times removed grandfathers first cousin and he died in 1842 in Tarporley. It was only when I obtained the will that I realised I had gone down the wrong line and I really cursed I can tell you.
My Abraham White married a Sarah Tittle I believe in 1856 but I need to check that date to be sure again at Tarporley.
Any other information please ask and thank you for trying.
Kind Regards.

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 August 15 14:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry I got the marriage of Abraham White wrong(there are that many I am getting confused now!)
My Abraham married Mary Broster on the 24th March 1817 at Tarporley, Cheshire. Mary came from Woodchurch and her father was Daniel and I have located her line quite easily.
I hope that helps.
Thank you.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 August 15 14:58 BST (UK) »
1841 Census:  HO107/96/34 folio 7, page 8 - Utkinton

Thomas White - 75 - farmer
Frances - 40
Ann - 45

Next entry:

William Billington - 30 - Carpenter
Mary - 25
Eliza - 1

Marriage at St John the Baptist, Chester - 19 March 1856
Abraham White - 23, bachelor, Labourer  - father Abraham -Labourer
Sarah Johnson - 20, spinster, Servant - father Samuel - Labourer

I cannot see a marriage 1850-1856 for Sarah Tittle in England and Wales (FreeBMD)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY