Author Topic: Wright/Glidewell- a little puzzle  (Read 6015 times)

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wright/Glidewell- a little puzzle
« on: Thursday 06 August 15 22:40 BST (UK) »
Well I know how people love these little mysteries!!

So what do I know?

Thomas and Martha marry in Astwood in april 1830. (name transcribed as Glidwelt)

Thomas and Martha baptize a child called Martha Glidwell Wright. There is a burial recorded in June, her baptism being in May.

There is another Martha Wright baptism in December 1830 to Thomas Wright and Mary (nee Taylor)

Now I thought I had all the Wright's but it looks like I missed one! Who is Thomas? Who is Martha? Is the name Glidwell now Glidewell? or are these different names?

I'm kinda hoping someone can look as well, or has knowledge of Glidwell/Glidewell in Bucks and can assist in identifying who these guys are.

Cheers

Mike

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wright/Glidewell- a little puzzle
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 August 15 12:51 BST (UK) »
The Glidwells in my tree lived in Bedfordshire, although I suspect the original came from Astwood in the 1700s.
Spellings I have come across are:  GLIDWELL; GLIDEWELL; GLIDLE; GLIDAL.  It settles down to GLIDEWELL in the 19th century.

There's a Martha Glidewell baptism at Astwood in 1810 on familysearch - which is probably the same person who married Thomas Wright. (The only other one born around that time was in Stagsden, Bedfordshire in 1817, and  she married in Bedfordshire)

A Martha Wright was buried at Astwood 16 May 1830 - the same day that Martha Glidwell Wright was baptised.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 August 15 20:58 BST (UK) »
The Glidwells in my tree lived in Bedfordshire, although I suspect the original came from Astwood in the 1700s.
Spellings I have come across are:  GLIDWELL; GLIDEWELL; GLIDLE; GLIDAL.  It settles down to GLIDEWELL in the 19th century.

There's a Martha Glidewell baptism at Astwood in 1810 on familysearch - which is probably the same person who married Thomas Wright. (The only other one born around that time was in Stagsden, Bedfordshire in 1817, and  she married in Bedfordshire)

So do we know who Thomas was? It looks like he may be born in Cranfield. I cant find an Astwood born Thomas Wright. (Well I can, there are two of the right age but they married other people)

A Martha Wright was buried at Astwood 16 May 1830 - the same day that Martha Glidwell Wright was baptised.

What age? was this Thomas' wife?

Did the Glidewell family say in Astwood? Perhaps you can help another line of enquiry? Gladys LH Glidewell in 1941 married Stanley Wright in Wolverton, I think. Is this Glidewell linked to those in Astwood

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 August 15 21:48 BST (UK) »
The burial record is from familysearch, which doesn't give ages although the original record should have that information. Given the date of the event it would seem likely that it is Thomas' wife, but you would need to confirm that.

Buckinghamshire Family History Society publishes CDs of parish records, or you can pay for a search for, eg all baptisms of a particular name.

http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/index.php/database-searches

Martha's parents Robert and Elizabeth Glidewell baptised two sons named James (in 1803 and 1807) at Astwood as well as Martha in 1810, but no more after that date. I think that they are probably the Robert Glidwell and Elizabeth Spakes who married at North Crawley 11 October 1802. 
(There seem to be more Glidewell events at North Crawley than at Astwood).  This couple, aged 70 and 60 respectively, still appear to be living in Astwood Bury in 1841 (as Glidwell). Robert is an agricultural labourer.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 August 15 22:08 BST (UK) »
I can't see a birth of a Gladys L H Glidewell, but there is a Gladys L E Glidewell birth registered September Q 1911 in Newport Pagnell district. Mother's maiden name Green
Gladys Lucy E Wright dob 17 July 1911 died in North Buckinghamshire district in 1981.

A James Glidewell married December Q 1908 in Newport Pagnell district, possible bride Elizabeth Jessie Green.

You would  need to see the marriage register entry to know who James' father is.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 August 15 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike

From Astwood PRs......

Marriage 12 Apr 1830 - Thomas WRIGHT, bachelor of this parish married Martha GLIDWELL, spinster of this parish by Banns Witnesses: James Glidwell & Sarah Warren.

Baptism 16 May 1830 - Martha Glidwell daughter of Thomas & Martha Wright of Astwood, labourer

Burial 13 June 1830 - Martha Glidwell Wright age 6 weeks of Astwood

Also burial on 16 May 1830 of Martha Wright age 20 (* this is Martha Glidwell?) 
. . . . . . . . .

Baptism  29 Mar 1810   Martha daughter of Robert & Elizabeth GLIDEWELL
. . . . . . . . . .

Note. Thomas Wright & Martha Glidewell were witnesses at marriage on 6 Jan 1829 by banns of                       Thomas DUNKLEY, Bachelor otp & Edith WRIGHT, Spinster otp

Edith Wright 1805 was daughter of Charles Wright & Ann Bason who also had a son Thomas 1807; he married Naomi Woods at Stagsden on 13 May 1832.... need to check Stagsden PRs to see if it says he's a widower?

Cheers John               
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 August 15 11:14 BST (UK) »
1851 census

Astwood

Thomas Wright 43  farm labourer   Astwood
Naomi Wright   37                        Stagsden
William Wright   17                       Stagsden
five younger children born at Astwood

There is an older daughter named Caroline born c1831 with them in 1841 who is lodging with a widow named Ann Hobbs in 1851.

Thomas' age and birthplace would link him to the son of Charles and Ann which John found.

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 August 15 22:15 BST (UK) »
Well that would make sense. Martha Glidewell then is Thomas' first wife. This seems likely to be Thomas who married Naomi as his second wife.

Martha Glidwell most probably died either during, or as a result of birth of her daughter. I am assuming mother and daughter are buried together in another of Astwood's unmarked graves.

Brilliant results so far guys thankyou.

All I need to do now is establish if there is a link to these Glidewell and Gladys who marries Stanley in 1941.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 August 15 08:54 BST (UK) »
Martha's parents Robert and Elizabeth Glidewell ........  This couple, aged 70 and 60 respectively, still appear to be living in Astwood Bury in 1841 (as Glidwell). Robert is an agricultural labourer.

Robert Glidwell buried Astwood 20 Jun 1844 age 71 & Elizabeth Glidwell buried Astwood 16 Feb 1842 age 61. So Robert was born c.1773, is he the one baptised Astwood on 28 Mar 1773 son of Thomas & Mary Glidwell.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------