Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Catholic Parish Register 1855 birth record  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED* Catholic Parish Register 1855 birth record
« on: Friday 07 August 15 11:12 BST (UK) »
When I saw on IGI the 1855 birth, I was so excited as it would give me her father's place of birth (hopefully the same place as my 2 x g grandfather) as I'm trying to connect them  ???
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYPP-B9D

I have over 20 1855 births, full of all the extra info. we get excited about but was so disappointed with the CPR as it had no more info. than the IGI entry apart from the Church name & from the index the area name.

It cost me 23 credits (£5.29) as it was a hit or a miss with the areas & of course, in my excitement I had forgotten they were Catholic  ;D

My 1st experience of a Catholic 1855 & had no idea it wouldn't contain what's in the statutory entries.
There is more info. on the OPR baptisms than is on this  :o

Lesson learned & back to the drawing board  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Parish Register 1855 birth record
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 August 15 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

The record on Familysearch.org is for the Statutory Birth Index not the CPR. It appears that the surname on Scotlandspeople is spelt Mellan.

Andy

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 August 15 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,

I have downloaded 3 certs. 2 of which were wrong parents.

Are you saying there should be another rather than the one I have for CPR  ???

I wondered about that & don't understand it  :-\

Annie

ADDED..............sorry 4 with 3 wrong

6   1855   MELLAN   MARY   F   DUNDEE SECOND DISTRICT   DUNDEE CITY/ANGUS   282/02 1336   

7   1855   MELLONE   MARY ANN   F   DUNDEE THIRD DISTRICT   DUNDEE CITY/ANGUS   282/03 0111   

10   1855   MILN   ANN MARY   F   DUNDEE SECOND DISTRICT   DUNDEE CITY/ANGUS   282/02 1106   

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 August 15 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Batch no C112821 on Familysearch.org is from the Statutory Registers and is not from the CPRs so the Mary Mellon entry on Familysearch with parents Patrick and Sarah should be in the Statutory Births but it looks as if it may have been spelt differently than on FS. By coincidence there is also a birth for a Mary Mellan in Dundee in 1855 same batch number.

Andy

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 August 15 12:44 BST (UK) »
Andy,

Thanks but I have downloaded them all with name Mary & the only 1 for the right area is on CPR exact date.
Maybe it has been missed  ???

I have now downloaded her father's death cert. & doesn't look like a match sadly.

Annie

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: *COMPLETED* Catholic Parish Register 1855 birth record
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 August 15 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

The fact that the birth is on Familysearch means that it is in the Statutory Birth Registers as that was the source that the LDS used for that particular batch and film. This means that either SP have missed indexing it or they have spelt the surname differently.

Are you saying that Mary Mellon with parents Patrick Mellon & Sarah Ward is not the person you are looking for?

Andy

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 August 15 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

The fact that the birth is on Familysearch means that it is in the Statutory Birth Registers as that was the source that the LDS used for that particular batch and film. This means that either SP have missed indexing it or they have spelt the surname differently.

Are you saying that Mary Mellon with parents Patrick Mellon & Sarah Ward is not the person you are looking for?

Andy

Hi Andy,

That is the birth I was looking for on Statutory births but it wasn't there as I said already, I have downloaded ALL the ones with the name Mary & only got it in the CPR with little info. only Mary's name & her parent's name  ???

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 August 15 15:35 BST (UK) »
I have now sent a message to SP to enquire why there isn't a full cert. as with all the other 1855 births I have & to let them know the mother's surname is indexed wrong as Woods instead of Ward which is on the cert.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 August 15 11:51 BST (UK) »
I have now sent a message to SP to enquire why there isn't a full cert. as with all the other 1855 births I have & to let them know the mother's surname is indexed wrong as Woods instead of Ward which is on the cert.

Received a reply from SP today as follows;

"I am sorry but we cannot correct any CPR's due to the fact the originals are with the Catholic Archives, and it may be best to contact them directly on the issue of the index error. I have refunded the credits for this anomaly back on your account. Mary has not been registered in the statutory register perhaps because it was during the changeover of the registration laws, and the parents may have been happy to register her birth with the church, but cannot give a specific answer"

I think possibly the parents didn't realise the difference in the "new" Statutory Rules & just didn't register it  ???

Annie