Author Topic: Augustus O'LOUGHLIN - Any records  (Read 4775 times)

Offline RayWitt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Augustus O'LOUGHLIN - Any records
« on: Saturday 08 August 15 05:27 BST (UK) »
After getting a copy of my 2x great-grand parents marriage certificate (married in Australia, 1863) it states that Honora (Hanora/Nora/Norah) O'Loughlin was born in Co Clare Ireland (no place name) to parents Augustus O'LOUGHLIN and Anne DRONY (could be DRONEY) and she was 18 at the time of marriage, so was born approx. 1845. It is written across the bottom of the marriage certificate that the bride's parents consented to the marriage so I assume they were both alive in 1863, although there is a possibility that Augustus died and Anne then married Austin HARKIN, as on some documents Honora is referred to as HARKIN.
I have tried Googling the name Augustus O'LOUGHLIN but have come up with nothing.
Would someone please be able to see if they can find any parish records or census records for this family? Or point me in the right direction to find out.
Thank you.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Augustus O'LOUGHLIN - Any records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 August 15 05:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

As the parents are noted as giving consent to the marriage, it is possible (perhaps even likely) that they were already in Australia at that time.  Thus, if they remained in Australia, Augustus' death certificate  may well hold further information about his birth, including naming of his parents. 

May I gently mention that Registration of BDM is not a federal responsibility, as civil registrations commenced in the 1800s and Australia was not federated until 1901.  So, each of the former British colonies, (now known as States) have retained their own institutions BDMs (and many other institutions).      So one of Augustus' daughters married in 1863 in Victoria .... For other RChatters not familiar with Victoria's BDMs may I further mention that Victoria's Marriage Certificates are as informative as say Scotland's, and so too with their birth certs and their death certs .... So, Victoria's dcs include details about the deceased's parents, the deceased's immediate family including any marriages, and issue of those.... as well as cause of death, and the burial/cremation..... 

O'Loughlin can have spelling variations of course. 

Some of those variations have been noted on the Australian thread, where there's mention about some of Augustus and Anne's children  :

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=727358.0

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline RayWitt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 January 18 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Some time has passed and I have a bit more information, and at this stage I'm pretty sure his name was Augustine, not Augustus, but also possibly known as Austin.

His wife Anne Drony (Droney) remarried in Australia in Feb 1863 to Michael Morony (Moroney).  On this marriage certificate her name is Anne O'Loughlan; widow since 29 Sept 1861; with 2 living and 4 deceased children from the former marriage. It does not list the name of her former husband.

Anne and Augustine's daughter married in Aug 1863 and as she was only 18 years old it has "consent of the bride's parents" written across the record, and she records her name as Honora O'Loughlin, parent's names Augustine (Augustus) O'Loughlin and Anne Drony, who had already remarried prior, so the consent given by her parents was likely her mother Anne and step-father Michael.

Through some further family marriages here in Australia there are other O'Loughlin's that were from Co. Clare, including Michael O'Loughlin [b. approx 1818] and Nancy (Annie) O'Loughlin [b. approx 1818] who were siblings with parents John O'Loughlin and Margaret Frawley. I believe there may be a connection with Augustine to them (i.e. brother/cousins) but cannot yet find it.

Offline RayWitt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 03:57 BST (UK) »
With so many variations of names being used this is quite confusing, but tracing their arrival in Australia, it appears their shipping record lists Denis O’Loughlin (aged 33), Nancy O’Loughlin (aged 29), Honora (aged 11) and Austin (aged 8 ) aboard the Truro in Jan 1854.
Denis O’Loughlin died 28 Sept 1861 in Melbourne and his death certificate states he had been in Victoria 7 1/2 years (which fits with the immigration).
Anne O’Loughlin goes on to marry Michael Moroney in 1863 and it states she is a widow, since 29 Sept 1861 (which fits with Denis’ death).
I don’t know why but son Austin takes the surname Harkin, and on his marriage certificate he lists his father as Austin Harkin and mother Anne Droney (in 1874).
Daughter Honora lists her father as Augustine(?) O’Loughlin and mother Anne Drony on her marriage certificate (1863). At a few times (birth of a child and her death) it lists her maiden name or father as Austin Harkin also. The death notice in the newspaper states she died at the residence of her brother, Mr Austin Harken (sic).

Denis’ death certificate of 1861 lists his father as Michael O’Loughlin and mother Catherine O’Loughlin, formerly Kerry. He was a native of Co Clare Ireland, aged 50.

Is there a marriage record for Denis (Augustine/Austin) O’Loughlin and Anne (Nancy) Droney?
Anne (Nancy)’s father is Luke Droney and mother Ellen Leary, also a native of Co Clare Ireland.
Or any birth records for these names?

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 08:57 BST (UK) »
VIC BDM
Death
6667/1861 OLOUGHLIN Denis parents Catherine KERRY / Michael
born CLAR

Marriage
474/1863 MORONY Michael   marr. OLOUGHLAN, Anne

1832/1874 HARKIN, Austin   marr. MADDIGAN Maggie

"..Daughter Honora lists her father as Augustine(?) O’Loughlin and mother Anne Drony on her marriage certificate (1863). "

Using the VIC BDM Index I am not seeing this marriage. Can you identify it please.

If you have these three marriage certificates, and one death certificate...can you please list all the information on each please.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 09:09 BST (UK) »
Austin was a variation of Augustine. I have an Austin in my FT and knew a modern Austin, both from County Mayo families. Was Augustus from a church register? It may have been a contraction of the Latin form of  Augustine.
Denis may have been Dionysius.
Cowban

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 13:38 BST (UK) »
Augustine/Austin HARKIN was Ann's first husband/partner and some of the children are his, hence their confusion with the names. 

Denis and Ann married in 1853, and she married with her maiden surname.

Kilfenora
Diocese of Galway | County of Clare

Variant forms of parish name:
Kiltoraghta
Kilfenora and Kiltoraghta
Kiltoraght
Kilfenora and Kiltoraght

Blue highlighted section, right hand page, first entry:

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634176#page/53/mode/1up

The Catholic parish registers can be quite dreadful to try and decipher so I will give some links for baptisms and you can work it out yourself  ;D

Debra  :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 14:32 BST (UK) »
OK, I will have a go.

20 July 1838
Michael of Austin HARKIN and Nancy DRONY

Three quarters down left hand page.
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634176#page/12/mode/1up

27 Oct 1841
Norry of Austin HARKINS and Nancy DRONY (is this Honora/Nora a bit older than she said?)

Third of the way down left hand page.
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634176#page/27/mode/1up

8 Feb 1844
?? of Augustin HARKIN and Nancy DROWNEY

Fourth last line on right hand page.
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634176#page/35/mode/1up

Debra  :)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 23:05 BST (UK) »
Michael's sponsors: Michael & Margrat Br_ggy
Norry's sponsors: Michael Beneggy (?) & Biddy McMaho_ _  There's a small x beside the entry. Might this Norry have died?
1844 baptism may be Patt. Sponsors Patt O'Loghlan & Bridget McMah_ _   Is residence Fonalea?
Cowban